??? On Ganche- Whipping And Decorating A Cake??

Decorating By monizcel Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 11:55am by grama_j

monizcel Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:16am
post #1 of 4

If you whip ganache does it harden as you spread it between your layers? How do you/can you get a whipped ganache that stays creamy and light (similar to truffle filling).

If I have a 2 layer filled cake, what is the best way to cover a cake in ganache so that I get full coverage of the cake. Do I need to crumb coat the cake with a chocolate frosting first (and if so, which recipe do you use) and then pour the ganache or can you just cover in ganache?

Thanks!
Celine

3 replies
grama_j Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:41am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by monizcel

If you whip ganache does it harden as you spread it between your layers? How do you/can you get a whipped ganache that stays creamy and light (similar to truffle filling).

If I have a 2 layer filled cake, what is the best way to cover a cake in ganache so that I get full coverage of the cake. Do I need to crumb coat the cake with a chocolate frosting first (and if so, which recipe do you use) and then pour the ganache or can you just cover in ganache?

Thanks!
Celine

Hi Celine....... I use ganache quite a bit, and just LOVE it.... you DO have to be careful when you whip it though, because it can set up on you.... if that happens, I just remelt it and go again..... I whip it until it is ALMOST where I want it for my filling..... I already have my dam piped around the cake edge so I'm all set fill....... it WILL set up as the cake sits. When you slice it, you don't have to worry about it being to thin or runny... mine is pretty solid..... THEN, when you bite into it, and the warmth of your mouth hits it, it just MELTS.....YUM !!!! I've only made one cake with it frosted in ganache.....I just poured it on the top and spread it around until it spread over the sides of the cake, and then spread that until it was covered.... worked out just fine....

liha21 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #3 of 4

I've also wondered about whipping ganache. grama_j do you refrigerate it or cool it before you whip? Or do you whip it right after making it? I've covered cakes with it and it works great, but was unsure about whipping.

grama_j Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #4 of 4

Hi LIHA....... Yes, it has to be cooled before you whip it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%