Do I Have To Let My Mmf 'rest'?

Decorating By CountryCakery4 Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 4:31am by katherinem

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:45am
post #1 of 7

OK, it's amateur night here at my house and I'm up at 12:30 am deciding that another batch of fondant actually is in order because my first batch was too small and now I've rerolled it so many times trying to get it to work that it's cracking. Now, if I could get away with making the new batch and covering my cake tonight that would be sooo good. Do I really need to let it rest? Does anyone know what happens if you don't? TIA! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:18am
post #2 of 7

Sometimes it's too soft and has air bubbles. If you sift the powdered sugar before you make it, it should help a bit.

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:26am
post #3 of 7

uh oh, too late. I was thinking, well I'm already cutting corners, why sift? Now envision me chuckling and shaking my head at myself. icon_smile.gif Well, we'll give it a go and if it's a bomb then I'll whip up a new batch (again) and just let it rest overnight.
Thanks for the advice Texas_Rose

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:29am
post #4 of 7

The sifting just keeps it from getting little hard bits in it.

When you roll the new batch, if you're worried about it drying out and cracking, try using crisco on your rolling surface instead of PS or CS. It will have a shiny finish that will go away overnight but it's easier to roll on crisco because you don't have to keep picking it up and dusting underneath.

Elise87 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:29am
post #5 of 7

i just finished a cake and i covered it in fondant straight after i finished making the fondant and it was fine! I have usually done it like that icon_smile.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:10am
post #6 of 7

Well, it's shortly after 2am now and my cake is covered and in the fridge, my kitchen is as clean as it's going to get tonight, and I'm going to bed. Thanks for the tips you guys. I had no problem getting the fondant on though I did (and have lately) had some problems getting the bottom edge to smooth properly without any folds. This seems to have been happening to me more lately and I'm not sure why. It'll be fine though b/c I'm putting a ribbon on the bottom edge so it'll be hidden. At least until cutting! I swear that's where draping fondant originated. Some chef couldn't get the fondant on properly and said well sh*t I'll just have to turn that into a tablecloth! icon_lol.gif Have a great night!

katherinem Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:31am
post #7 of 7

Glad it all worked out well for you!
I have been able to cover cakes right after making the MMF but I do get better results - smoother fondant / easier to roll out and get on cake when it sits overnight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%