Idea Help Needed! Gender-Neutral Birthday Cakes For Kids

Decorating By saffronica Updated 22 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm by candoo

saffronica Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 8

Please help! I've been thinking about these cakes for days and can't come up with anything that I'm excited about. I have been wanting to try a topsy-turvy cake, so something along those lines would be especially fun.

We are having a joint birthday party for my daughter and her friend (a boy), who will both turn four next month. It is a pool party, so something water-related might be good. It just seems that everything I come up with is either too girly (mermaids) or too boyish (pirates). I know fish are neutral, but I just haven't had any good fish cake ideas.

Also, I'm doing a first birthday cake for a friend's triplets -- two boys, one girl. I want to make it really special, but again, it has to be gender neutral. I will also be making three coordinating smash cakes. I would love some ideas!

Thanks!

7 replies
Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:21am
post #2 of 8

Pirates aren't too boyish. What is, or is not, gender neutral is very subjective.

What about penguins, dinosaurs, Paddington Bear, butterflies, horses, cows, farmyard, Shaun the sheep.......

The possibilities are endless.

StaceyCakes75 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:51am
post #3 of 8

ocean, beach, or hawaiian. Since its a pool party, make a pool party cake. ummm....I think the farm idea is very cute. You wont be able to get away with a farm birthday much longer. 4 yr olds love farm animals.
How about Dora and Diego. Anything from playhouse disney. Mickey mouse, wiggles, backyardigans, my friends Tiget and Pooh, wonder pets..ok I think you get the picture. As you can see playhouse Disney is a big hit in my house icon_smile.gif

1st bday. something with primary colors. That is very gender neutral. Is there a theme for the party? That would help you a lot.

sheena Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:38am
post #4 of 8

Just an idea for the 4 yr old's cake... a pool / beach cake with each of the the kid's favourite characters in swim wear and dark glasses...you can make some cute li'l floats/tubes with fondant/gumpaste for the pool... If u have some specific theme, you can make those characters or use your theme colors for the cake.

Melnick Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:47am
post #5 of 8

For the one year olds, why not make a cake inspired by In the Night Garden? I have a son and daughter and both love it and I could just as easily make this theme for either of them. With Iggle Piggle and Upsy Daisy, both sexes are represented anyway.

Also, if you like the pirates and mermaids, why not mix them - pirate ship on top with an underwater scene with mermaids on the bottom. Have a boy and a girl pirate and a boy and a girl mermaid.

candoo Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:21am
post #6 of 8

I think the Cat n the Hat would be perfect for either! Have Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3 as a bonus!! Underwater or aquarium would work great for the unisex pool party. I just did an aquarium cake that was a BIG hit with both sexes- it's in my pics. Please post the cakes of whatever u decide- can't wait to see what u come up with!!

saffronica Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:46am
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the help. I still have a lot of thinking to do, but at least now I have some new roads to follow! I'm thinking maybe a surfer thing for the pool party -- a good excuse to try a topsy-turvy (with waves). I love the idea of Thing 1, etc. for the triplets -- I'll just have to find out in what order they were born! Thanks again.

candoo Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 8

Looking forward 2 seeing your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%