How To Carve Rice Crispy Treats?

Decorating By 2sweeties Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 4:10am by 2sweeties

2sweeties Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:47am
post #1 of 6

I am a complete novice when it comes to making cakes but I'm going to attempt this one anyhow... my husband's 40th birthday is around the corner and I'm going to be making a cake in the shape of a computer. I will be making the monitor out of cake and the keyboard and mouse out of rice crispy treats. I have read some about how to work with rice crispy treats and plan on modifying the recipe some if necessary. My plan for the mouse is to shape it right away. However, with the keyboard, I plan on letting the rice crispy treats set in 2 13x9 pans, chill them and then cut the indentations around each key. I want everything to be as life-sized as possible and plan on connecting the treats from one pan to another so that it matches the dimensions of our keyboard. I plan on covering everything with black frosting and then use the letters and numbers you can find in any grocery store to apply them to each of the "keys". (I would attempt to write them out myself but remember, I'm completely new to this.) My question is: Is my plan to cut the rice crispy treats a reasonable one? I plan on using a few tools around the kitchen to help me chip away at it but I'm a little nervous about how this will go. I have only a few days to practice and limited hours to try since the actual party is a surprise. Also, I plan on turning a picture of him into an edible image for the computer screen. Does anyone have a suggestion on where to do this? Thank you so much for any suggestions you have. I will be needing all the help I can get.
-Becky

5 replies
cutthecake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 6

May I make a suggestion? Rather than cut the RKT into the keys on the keyboard, have you considered using Starburst candies for the keys? They're already square and you'd save a lot of time and aggravation. You can cut them to size if they're too big.

scanners2003 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #3 of 6

HI, try http://www.icingimages.com/info.php for edible images.

annieluz Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:17am
post #4 of 6

I agree... I would go with the starburst candies for keys... they might be a little too big but it is MUCH easier to cut them than to carve the RKTs...

kokopuff Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 6

you could also use mini hershey bars,the small ones have blocks that can be broken apart

2sweeties Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for all of the advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%