My Own Birthday Cake That I Made...see What Happened

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm by cylstrial

trumpetmidget Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:19am
post #1 of 9

So, i had decided to make my own birthday cake for my own birthday party. I figured I always make cool cakes for others, I wanted to make a cool cake for me. And it was cool. Notice the past tense.
I had it all up and it started leaning. I fixed it. It started leaning again and I fixed it again. The third time I couldn't fix it and I didn't catch it in time. So, I decided to stack it. It started sliding. So, I tried a different way to stack it. It slid again. By that time all of us are laughing (because what are you going to do and thankfully, it was for me) and I am just smashing cake on it to get it to at least stay in something. Garfield somehow managed to be attached and I decided it was his birthday, too, so he could stay on the cake. It was crazy. Had it been for anyone else, it would have been a disaster. For me, it was just hysterical. Though, it was sad because I spent a lot of time on it. I had string work and everything. Oh well. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy.

8 replies
rvercher23 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 9

So sorry this happened to you, the cake looked awesome though. Happy Birthday!

terrylee Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #3 of 9

Yikes - sorry that happened but I'm with was for you and you might as well laugh, hand out some forks and tell everyone to dig in..... great concept though. Happy 31st......

lovely Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 9

Sweet as cake. Happy belated birthday and glad you could laugh about it.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:45am
post #5 of 9

Well, happy birthday! Glad you got a laugh out of it at least! It looked cool before it crashed. icon_smile.gif

scanners2003 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:01am
post #6 of 9

When all else fail's ~LAUGH~. Great cake. Happy Birthday. icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:55am
post #7 of 9

Oh No! How awful!

I see the photo of your other cake that fell called "Carter's disaster"... the funfetti cake. Did you ever learn more info about why it fell? I wonder how many dowels you used. I don't see any, but if they're there and you used too many, you'll get the same result because they weaken the cake in the exact same pattern around the back of the cake.

Picture this: the cake up front on the bottom tier completely falls over onto the board exactly where your pegs were in that circular shape under the above plate or cardboard because the pegs are so close together--the cake has basically been almost completely cut with a knife. When that section falls, the tiers above start to lean in that direction and when it goes it takes the rest of the cake with it. By looking at what is left of it, you can see that it pulled away most of the lower tier but only up to the point where the pegs or dowels may have been in that almost perfect circular shape. Just a thought... it might be something helpful you could watch out for.

trumpetmidget Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! It was a fun day!! I think the cake fell because of a combination of I didn't measure the pillars properly and the cake was too moist to be stacking. I didn't put any dowels in it because it wasn't going to be standing longer than an hour. Next time, I will use a denser cake and when I put the leaning one on the second tier, I will to a better job making it not lean and measure the pillars. It was a ton of fun, though, even if it did fall. I got to do some piping that I've not done before and I got to use colors that I liked. It was cool. AND, I got a before picture, so life is grand...icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:38pm
post #9 of 9

What a beautiful cake! I'm sorry that it slid and got squished. At least you got the before picture though! And there was nothing wrong with the hopefully you still ate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%