Help! Sweating Fondant

Decorating By msulli10 Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 3:27am by sister340

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #1 of 12

Every time I take my cake out of the fridge the fondant sweats like crazy. I'm afraid to give it to the customer like this. Of course all this rain and humdity is killing me so that's why I put it in the fridge.
If I take it out a little before the customer comes to pick it up, will it dry or just wilt??? Should I try a fan? HELP!

11 replies
SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 12

Even here in Utah where it is normally so dry, all the rain is causing this problem for me too! The fondant will dry out after a while, and a fan would probably help. If I haven't decorated the cake yet then I can carefully blot some of the wetness off with a soft paper towel or tissue or t.p but be careful not to leave "fuzzies" If you rub too hard then the fondant will start to come off so this doesn't get it totally dry. If you have decorated the cake with dark colors like black and then put it in the fridge and pull it out and it is really wet then the colors sometimes will run so be careful with that too. It might help to turn your fridge temperature down because the cold cake hitting the hot humid air is what causes the condensation.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:52am
post #3 of 12

Something Bronwen Weber told us at "That Takes The Cake" is if if the fondant is undecorated and you have to put it in the fridge for a little bit - spritz it w/a little vodka (spray bottle) first. If for longer or decorated, put it in a corrugated box, wrap the box in cellophane then the fridge. (hopefully you have a big enough box and enough room in the fridge.

Hope that helps! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the fan. I don't have a big enough box to fix in my fridge to try the other suggestion. I think part of the problem is that under the fondant is a thick layer of ganache. If is still sweating when the customer comes, I'll just tell her to keep it in the fridge until she is ready to serve it. I just hope all the decorations don't go for a slide!!!

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 12

I try my best to not put a fondant-wrapped cake in the fridge unless necessary for the filling...because once it comes out, the fondant softens up and w/the humidity - it starts to sag like a sad little rag.

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:32am
post #6 of 12

sorry, don't know why this repeated so often. I'm as new to the forum as I am to selling cakes. icon_smile.gif

sister340 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #7 of 12

I've got a fondant cake in layers in the fridge now. I live in Utah where it is dry but right now we're having lots of rain and high humidity. I had to refrigerate it because the filling needs to be kept cool.

Here is my question, After I get it delivered, it will sit out for the reception. Do you worry about fillings like these being out during this time? I think I need to tell someone to get it in the fridge as soon after the reception as possible. I'd sure hate to make someone sick.

Do you use fillings that need to be refrigerated often? I'm thinking maybe I just won't do that again.

Thanks;
j.

sister340 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:33am
post #8 of 12

I've got a fondant cake in layers in the fridge now. I live in Utah where it is dry but right now we're having lots of rain and high humidity. I had to refrigerate it because the filling needs to be kept cool.

Here is my question, After I get it delivered, it will sit out for the reception. Do you worry about fillings like these being out during this time? I think I need to tell someone to get it in the fridge as soon after the reception as possible. I'd sure hate to make someone sick.

Do you use fillings that need to be refrigerated often? I'm thinking maybe I just won't do that again.

Thanks;
j.

sister340 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #9 of 12

Thanks;
j.

sister340 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:34am
post #10 of 12

Thanks;
j.

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:08am
post #11 of 12

I use a couple of fillings that technically should be refrigerated but as far as I know have never had a problem with them going bad while sitting out at a reception. I guess it would depend on what kind of perishable filling it was. My cakes are all refrigerated for at least a couple hours before they go out so they are good and cool and the filling is sealed inside the cake until it is cut. I would think that if it is hot enough to ruin a filling then the whole cake would basically be melted and ruined anyway. I'm not sure, maybe someone else has a different opinion but I have never had a problem with it. I would hope that it is because the cake is so good that it all gets eaten!
It's never a bad idea though to mention to your client that the filling is perishable and that any leftovers should be refrigerated or discarded.

sister340 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:27am
post #12 of 12

Well, we lived through our episode of "sweating fondant". Since I had filled the cakes with a cream cheese filling they had to be in the fridge. I'd get them out, they would be nice and dry. After a few minutes in the humid air, they would start to get quite "tacky". I tried to work fast and return them to the fridge, where they would dry out again. When it was time to deliver them, it was pouring rain. It was an outdoor reception, so they had us set it up in the house, which was fine for the cake. Didn't seem to have hurt the fondant much, but it was just a little sticky overall. I had "glued" gumpaste polka-dots on the fondant with edible glue and they stuck amazingly well. The fondant didn't spot or sag (at least it hadn't before we left). But the stickiness of it worried me.
The wedding was at 5 and the reception at 7. By 7 the sun was shining and I think they were able to have a fairly good time. They were going to move the cake outside when it quit raining, and I have no idea how that went., I hope good.
I'm posting the picture of the cake under my photos.

Whew.....................
j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%