Diagnosed Diabetic Today...need Help To Not Be Scared

Lounge By SugarFrosted Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm by CakesByLJ

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #31 of 49

I am so glad to hear your lab results SugarFrosted. You have given me hope!

I had my A1C numbers wrong. Just went back to my doctor and my A1C is 6.9 which is up from 6.8, weight is the same after 6 months and the doctor said that I give him no choice but to put me on more meds. I cried. In addition to metformin, I will be taking Actos. He told me that insulin is in my future and he hopes that scares me into exercising and eating better. SO, I am determined to take off 20 pounds before my next visit. If 15 pounds lowered your A1C by .8, then it should do almost the same for me. It's all about the weight and exercise. I am told that exercise causes your body to function better and your tissues to use insulin more like they should. You only have a little way to go to get to the 5.8 they recommend.

Oh and about the meters, my doc said that an A1C of 6.9 means my sugar averages 150 but I've never had a 150 reading on my meter. He says the meters are notorius for showing lower and the older the meter, the worse the read out, so don't trust your meter completely. The A1C IS the most accurate measurement.

All the best to you SugarFrosted. You are setting such an example with your discipline.

By the way, I can't help but laugh at your member name...SugarFrosted...yep you are! icon_lol.gif or were, until you got those numbers down.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #32 of 49

What great news! It is definitely inspiring to hear your story, how you turned it around on your own, and is coming out stronger. That is why diets don't work, because it is all about the life style.
The challenge is to keep a healthy diet as a cake decorator. Sugar is so addictive so my advice would be to trust your recipes and not taste them. I'm glad you found a way that works well with you and that you will avoid medication!!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #33 of 49

It wasn't the weight loss which did it. It's walking/jogging gently on my mini-trampolene for 15 mins. twice a day. I can really tell in my blood sugars when I have missed more than a day of exercise. I have a really bad knee, so I am doing the slow-and-sure rather than the rabbit-run.

I also try to walk as much as I can. For example, I park farther away from the store, or make 5 trips across my house from the laundry room instead of just one trip. It all adds up and seems to be making a big difference.

This weekend, I want to go and test some elliptical machines to maybe buy one. My husband is skeptical. We had an exercise bike in the past that only gathered dust. But back then, my life wasn't on the line. I'm not sure if what I am doing will work forever, but I am sure gonna give it my best effort. If I can get off my butt and exercise, anyone can.

I also eat only what I am allowed to have. I know, I know... I can have anything if I account for it. But some stuff is just wrong for me. It could lead to bad behavior since I have a little self-control problem when it comes to things like chocolate. So I just ...don't. It's easier this way. I "toe the line" always.

Being diagnosed as diabetic wasn't a death sentence for me. It was a wake up call.

KathysCC Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #34 of 49

Yes, exercise does make a big difference.

And you know what I noticed, we eat way too much carbs. I am trying to stick to lean meats and veggies as best I can. The best place for a diabetic to cut back is the rice, bread, potatoes and other high carb, low fiber foods.

The unfortunate news is that diabetes will always loom in your future if you don't stick with your altered diet and exercise. Your body has shown that it does not process insulin correctly and this is something you will have to live with. But it is definitely a wake up call. Keep us up to date and keep up the good work. You can do it!

SugarFrosted Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 8:04am
post #35 of 49

I realized today I had not yet posted an update since I had my followup with the dietician. My appt was last Thursday. It had been an eventful prior week for me because I twisted my knee while shopping and was unable to exercise for a couple of days. Being on no diabetes meds, and exercise being my only real way to control my blood sugar, that scared me to death! Fortunately I was only disabled for a couple of days (and by then my sugars were going back up.) My knee was much was better by the time of my dietician appt.

I happened to see my dietician in the hospital lobby and we walked up the stairs together to her office. She was surprised and pleased that I was not out of breath when we got there. (I have been walking every day.) We had our conference, and she looked at my journal. She weighed me and I had lost about 15 lbs. in 5 weeks. We talked about the improvement in my A1c and fasting blood sugar and she was full of praise for my progress.

Another dietician came in to see how I was doing. She got the jist of it and then asked me if I might be interested in talking to their next batch of diabetic class students. Wow! How flattering! But seriously, if I can do this and succeed, ANYONE can. thumbs_up.gif

And then something very unpleasant happened. I am on an NSAID (meloxicam) for my arthritis. One of the possible side effects is gastric/intestinal bleeding. And of course, that happened to me. On the weekend.

The MD on call told me to stop the med and call the office on Monday to find out how my MD wanted to proceed. So I stopped the med and just took Tylenol. I had not realized just how effective the meloxicam had been, until it was taken away. I could hardly move. Which severely inhibited my ability to exercise.

Fortunately, my MD recommended I start taking it again after we discussed the situation, and came to the conclusion it was probably an internal hemorrhoid. icon_redface.gif (sorry, too much information) He sent me to a gastro-intestinal MD for follow up. Amazingly, she had an available appt the very next day! She agreed with my MD's assessment. So, barring further complications, in a few weeks I get to be "up-ended" and have a colonoscopy. FUN! icon_confused.gif (well, not so much)

As my friend says, "Once you hit 40, it's Patch! Patch! Patch!" icon_lol.gif

Today...Thursday, August 13 is our 25th wedding anniversary, and unless my husband gets stuck with an emergency at his office, we will be going out to dinner to celebrate. Yay! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for your interest and support.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 12:06pm
post #36 of 49

Congratulations Anna~! Keep up the great work. It's a daily battle for sure, but remember we are in this for the long haul, and I intend to see my great grandkids~~ Happy Anniversary to you and hubby too. DH and I celebrate 44 years in September.. Where does the time go?? Have a great time tonight~!

SugarFrosted Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #37 of 49

I have the most amazing update! I just got my latest labs results from my MD ...may I have a drumroll please?

My A1c is 5.9 and FBS was 89 (down from 6.4 and 124, and prior to that, 7.2 and 154)

I am over the moon! I actually cried tears of joy when I read the results. I called my dietician to tell her the good news and she was so pleased with my success so far. I can't stop smiling icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I joined a gym about two mins from my house and I go there twice a day to use the recumbent bike. I "ride" 3-3.5 miles in about 20 mins. When my knees get a bit better I will be able to use the elliptical machine, I hope. I have lost 37 lbs. so far. My clothes are falling off of me. I am gonna have to dig into my "doesn't fit" closet to find something smaller.

I have discovered one normal food that I cannot eat at all anymore:
Fat Free Turkey Hot Dogs make my blood sugar go to 180. icon_eek.gif
I tested 3 times over a couple of weeks in a variety of meal combinations to make sure it was the hot dogs.

Isn't that bizarre? icon_confused.gif

I am in this for the long haul. I am not taking it for granted that I am getting off easy not being on meds for my diabetes.
I consider the exercise to be my medicine.

I wish everyone as much success (and more) as I have had so far thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for you continued interest!!!

CakesByLJ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:27pm
post #38 of 49

omg.. Anna, that is just fantastic. You are the poster child for sure~! I admire your determination and envy your motivation.. You keep up the great work. I am sure you must feel like a new person losing all that weight, and I bet you look like a million bucks too~! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Congratulations thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:31am
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesByLJ

omg.. Anna, that is just fantastic. You are the poster child for sure~! I admire your determination and envy your motivation.. You keep up the great work. I am sure you must feel like a new person losing all that weight, and I bet you look like a million bucks too~! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Congratulations thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thanks so much for the reply icon_biggrin.gif

Altho I do feel better, I have a long long way to go and I am trying to keep it all in perspective. See that little snail in my sig? He is about 1/3 of the way across that vine. And while I have lost an amazing 37 lbs, I am only about 1/3 of the way to my goal too. Being sedentary most of my life has left me with a lot of extra baggage, in more ways than one.

Every step of the way is only one step at a time.

Every pound lost is one less pound to stress my bad knees.

Those things add up to more days/weeks/months/years to live.
That is all that matters to me.

If I can do this, ANYONE can. Seriously.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:41pm
post #40 of 49

First off, I am so sorry about your news Sugarfrosted, and I want to send you a great big hug. I also want to begin by saying, knowledge is power. The more you know about the disease the less it will control you. I also have a family member diagnosed with diabetes, but he chooses to be in denial of the situation. I try to warn him of the consequences, but he doesn't seem to realize the things that can happen if you don't take positive steps to control it. The key is don't do the denial thing, research, research, research. Stay healthy, and come see us here if you need support. God Bless.

SugarFrosted Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

First off, I am so sorry about your news Sugarfrosted, and I want to send you a great big hug. I also want to begin by saying, knowledge is power. The more you know about the disease the less it will control you. I also have a family member diagnosed with diabetes, but he chooses to be in denial of the situation. I try to warn him of the consequences, but he doesn't seem to realize the things that can happen if you don't take positive steps to control it. The key is don't do the denial thing, research, research, research. Stay healthy, and come see us here if you need support. God Bless.

Thanks so much! In the 3 months since my diagnosis, my whole life has changed. Better food choices and better eating schedule, exercise, weight loss, positive thinking...and the results really are evidence of those good changes. I appreciate so much all the good thoughts sent my way icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #42 of 49

My most recent lab results arrived in the mail today and I wanted to share with you wonderful people who have been so supportive. I am pleased to post these numbers:

A1c = 5.5
FBS = 80

I have lost 54.5 lbs, exercise for 20-25 mins twice a day, and feel amazing. Still not on any meds!

Thank you for your continued support!

Also, for any of you who are also diabetic, I heartily recommend http://www.dlife.com a most amazing website for diabetics. I am sugarfrosted (ironic, eh?) there too. So msg me if you are already a member. I'd love to hear from you!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

KathysCC Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:36am
post #43 of 49

So proud of you. I need your incentive. I am now on two types of meds and my sugar still goes up easily. You are an encouragement!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 2:46pm
post #44 of 49

Congratulations on your great numbers.

I, too, am type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed 3 yrs ago. I ws on Januvia for 2 1/2 yrs then the doc decided to change my meds. I can't take metforman or glucofauge (sp) I am on Actos now and keeping my glucose under control.

Unfortunately, due to other health issues I wasn't able to exercise until recently. I am feeling much better but loosing the weight is a rollercoaster for me.

Congratulations on your weightloss as well. That is awesome!

Nice to see a success story! Congratulations!

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 4:34pm
post #45 of 49

Wow Sugar, you should be extremely proud of yourself! I happened upon this thread and could feel the terror in your first few posts, and now feel the triumph as you have lowered your A1C. Well done!! Luby's advice in the first page is spot on, it's all about the carbs...but you know that now. What I found is that many peopple, myself included, think diabetes is just a one dimensional issue, ie:not sugar ever again, insulin dependent forever, etc. I was gestational with my first child, afterwards, I was fine but at my 6 week checkup, the doc said I had a 50% chance of developing type 2 if I didn;t watch it. So naturally I ignored him and carried on with a life raising my son, caring for a sick husband, no sleep, a pot of coffee to sustain my days and a plate of mashed potatoes at 9pm. Four years and 100 pounds gained later, I was type 2. Fast forward another three years, my husband passed awway and I finally decided that I can't leave my little boy an orphan. A year later, I had lost over 85 pounds JUST by controlling my portions, not eliminating my favorite foods. I did start on Metformin but now my A1C is under control and I have no use for the drug. (besides, although the doc denies this, I found that when taking Metformin, my hair fell out in handfuls...only after stopping the drug has my hair stopped falling out and is re-growing...nothing scientific there but I'm just sayin...) I do exercise but not as I should I'm working on that. I'm about 25 pounds away from what I consider my normal weight. Someone mentioned the hanging skin...I'm with you on that...but I'd rather have hanging skin than have it filled with fat and sugar as I did before. LOL Anyway, I'm so pleased for you Sugar, you are a success story and the bonus is you probablly feel more in control of your body than ever before. Good job, you are inspirational to others!
Laura

SugarFrosted Posted 17 Dec 2009 , 10:33pm
post #46 of 49

Thanks so much, Kathy, Shelly and pinky! Y'all have made my day! Feeling in control is fantastic!

I do hope each of you, as diabetics (and anyone else who is diabetic or has a loved one who is diabetic) will consider my invitation to come and explore
http://www.dlife.com if you are not a member. At least check it out. The entire community is like CakeCentral...caring, generous with information, supportive...but everyone is a diabetic or a caregiver of some sort. Recipes, blogs, forums, videos, support for family members. It's amazing.

I never thought I could become as involved in a forums as I have here on CC, but I have. And the time I spend there is for a very good cause...me and my health!

Remember, I'm sugarfrosted there too icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #47 of 49

New Update (if anyone still cares): I have now lost 84 lbs !!!! and my A1C is 5.6. I'm exercising every day and doing a pretty good job of staying on track.

A month ago a friend has asked me to share my "diet secrets" with her. LOL

I told her it would not be necessary for her to be diagnosed diabetic to follow a sensible meal plan. In fact, I'd prefer she never had to go thru that.

She said she was up for whatever I had to tell her. So I went over the exchange program and gave her some example meal plans. She said it looked good and away she went.

I found out today she has lost 12 lbs and is weighing and measuring her food. I am so proud of her and grateful that I could use my situation to help someone else. I guess she's motivated. That's the important part.

How is everyone else doing?

Can someone tell me how to change the title so it doesn't say that I was diagnosed TODAY anymore?

KathysCC Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:02pm
post #48 of 49

You are amazing! Congratulations! I know this hasn't been an easy road for you! I wish I could get this same fire lit under me. I need to lose the weight to get of the meds but can't seem to get motivated.

I don't think you can change the thread title. Beside, I like the title because I know which thread it is when it pops up in my email...it's familiar! icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm
post #49 of 49

Congrats SugarFrosted~! You are doing an amazing job and are a shining example of success. Keep up the good work... and, of course we care... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%