Diagnosed Diabetic Today...need Help To Not Be Scared

Lounge By SugarFrosted Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm by CakesByLJ

SugarFrosted Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 49

I've been on meds for high cholesterol for a year. Had labs done 6 months ago, everything within limits. Went in last week for annual exam and had labs done. Got lab results in the mail today stating I am a diabetic (news to me!!) and included was a prescription for an oral med for diabetes and info re: a diabetic class to attend. Not one single warning call from the MD's office about this. I called my MD's office and was told he was out today (what a surprise icon_rolleyes.gif ) and was transferred to a nurse who was not impressed I had only been notified by mail.

I called my husband at work and just couldn't get the words out because I was crying, I was so upset. He came home from work to talk to me. He was worried that I'd been told I have cancer or something. I am thunderstruck by all this. I guess I should be glad they did not start me out on insulin.

What will my life be like as a diabetic? How will this affect my cake business? We all taste our stuff to make sure it is good.

I was an ER/Oncology nurse for years but have very little experience with diabetes and maintenance. Everything I knew has flown out of my head today.This has me scared to death.

Can someone already living this situation reassure me please?

48 replies
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 49

my dad had the same surprise -- this after he woke up not feeling well and keeled over onto the floor while sitting at the kitchen table. Age then early 50s
30 years later Parkinson's did him in.
He lived, he ate, he traveled, he groused about this and that.
find out how bad it really is.
take the classes
and prepare to get on with life

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 49

My dad was diagnosed with diabetes when I was in high school. He takes insulin for it but that's because he didn't follow the diets that the doctor gave him. He's also got multiple sclerosis so finding out he was diabetic wasn't that scary to him.

Anyhow, he was diagnosed 15 or 16 years ago and has managed to do fine...still eats anything he wants when we go out to dinner although supposedly he is careful about what he eats at home.

sweetcravings Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 49

Sorry to hear that you got troubling news today. Hugs. I think i would be upset to. No one ever wants to hear bad news.

My mom was diagnosed several years back and it has indeed been a lifestyle change for her. She took the courses, and said they were very helpful. Is it a challenge, definitely. You have to learn how to eat properly and make good choices. Does she live a normal life..definitely..She even splurges on popcorn, cake from time to time. It's the daily dietary changes that were the hardest, keeping honest with your eating. She has controlled her bld sugars enough that she needs no meds at this point, but she works at it daily and is realistic. She knows that she can't be perfect all the time, and she allows herself the slip ups, and then she gets back on track. Unfortunately diabeties is the least of her concern now, as she was diagnosed with leukemia, now that was a blow to all of us.
Keep your chin up, there are worse things that could have been told to you. At least this you can control to an extent by good diet and exercise. Best of luck.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 49

My grandmother, who is 82, has had diabetes for over 30 years. She is on insulin shots twice a day, stared with pills. She has never let it stop her from living her life. She also baked all of our birthday cakes growing up. icon_smile.gif

Yes, you have to adjust some of your eating habits, but it doesn't mean you can't ever have anything sweet again. You just have to deal with exchanges.

The classes will give you information on what you need to know and help you with the eating aspect of things.

You can also go to the below websites for more information.

http://www.diabetes.org/ and http://diabetes.webmd.com/

My mother's brother has been diagnosed with it, but he manages it with his diet and doesn't have to take any meds for it. He did lose weight when he found out and that is one of the reasons he is able to stay off the meds for now.

Schedule an appointment with your Dr and talk to him about it. I'd also be sure to let him know how you felt about the way he told you. Diabetes do carry some health issues, but it is usually when people ignore that they have it and don't care what they eat.

Luby Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 49

First, take a deep breath and listen to me when I say your life is not over and you can lead a very normal life.
When I was first diagnosed and went to see an Endocrinologist I cried through the entire appointment. The doctor finally looked at me and said "Maybe we should talk about anti-depressants because you are crying an awful lot". After I met with the nutritionist I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted off my shoulders. Do you have to change your eating habits? You absolutely do, but that doesn't mean you can't ever have dessert or something sweet. It's all about moderation and making choices. Actually, almost everyone would benefit from following a diabetic diet. You will need to become familiar with the carbohydrate content in foods because it's all about carbs. Your body will turn carbs into sugar which will in turn cause your blood sugar to go up. In type 2 diabetes either your body is not producing enough insulin or it doesn't know how to use the insulin it is producing. The nutritionist told me to eat 3 45 carb meals a day with 3 15 carb snacks a day. As far as tasting your cakes to make sure they are good you can have a couple of bites because if you stop and think about it you don't have to eat a huge piece of cake to know if it's good or not. Instead of cutting a large piece cut a very thin piece - you will be surprised after a while how you adjust to eating that smaller piece and you don't even notice it. Try to avoid eating a high carb food all by itself, for example if you had lunch at noon and eat a piece of cake or something around 3. Try to eat the high carb food at the same time you consume a protein - it's not quite as bad for your blood sugar. I'm the world's worst for following this advice, but if you can make yourself exercise your numbers will be much better. Try to switch to whole grain products - whole grains don't make your blood sugar spike as much as refined "white" products such as flour, sugar, etc. I was a coke-a-holic and just was beside myself thinking about giving up my beloved coke. Today, I can't say that I'm miserable anymore. I drink Coke Zero and mainly Iced Tea using Splenda. If my blood sugar drops too low I grab a "real" coke and drink about half a can and that gets my blood sugar back up and also satisfies my cravings for it.

Don't be fooled by the all the "sugar-free" products out there - it's the carbs you need to be mindful of. They usually have the same carbohydrate content and I find I would much rather have a small serving of the real thing than the artificial product. A co-worker would always say how they would get their diabetic father sugar free pudding, sugar free angel food cake and make a dessert for him and he would go to town and eat almost the whole thing. He actually consumed as many carbs in the sugar-free dessert as he would have had in a small serving of the regular dessert. They all thought they were doing this wonderful thing for him.

I would strongly suggest going to see an Endocrinologist because your GP will not be as aggressive as an Endo doctor. You will need to get a meter and test your blood at various times during the day and send those numbers to the endo doctor so he can adjust your medications as necessary. After some adjustments he will probably hit on the right combination of meds. It's also a good idea to test to see which foods make your blood sugar sky-rocket. You will react differently to different foods. Testing is one of the most important things you can do. If your body changes and you don't test you won't know the meds aren't working and you will be doing damage to your organs. If you see that your blood sugar is going up you can make some adjustments to the meds, but you will only know this if you test. Your doctor will probably put you on Metformin or Fortamet. It may be also called Glucophage, but if you can use the Metformin do so because it's the cheapest ($4.00 per month as opposed to the brand name Fortamet at $40.00 per month). Your liver will also produce glucose so this medication tells your liver to stop producing so much glucose. He may also prescribed more than one such as Glimeperide or Amaryl (brand name) or he may have you try Byetta. Byetta is an injection that stimulates your body to produce insulin and it's also been known to help people loose weight. Don't be squeamish about giving yourself an injection. The needle is so small you don't even feel it and you give it to yourself in the stomach about 30 minutes before a meal twice a day. I have to admit the first time I did it my hands were shaking terribly, but you get over that very quickly.

The bad thing about this disease is that usually you will not feel bad if your sugar is high and stays high so it lulls you into denial and you think nothing is wrong. This disease is very manageable and you can live a very long and healthy life as long you control it.

OK - I know this is very long so I'm going to stop now, but if you have any questions please feel free to pm me and I will also be happy to talk to you over the phone (long distance on my cell phone is free).

SugarFrosted Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:40am
post #7 of 49

Thanks everyone for your replies. You are all so kind, and you all make good points. I feel kinda like a deer in the headlights at the moment.

It's strange....nurses are probably the worst patients. Unfortunately, as they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I know about all the horrible things that can be caused by diabetes, and have probably dealt with most of them in my years as an ER nurse. I think I'd be handling this better if I wasn't a nurse. Ignorance is bliss...

I took my first dose of med (Amaryl) this afternoon with a small meal and then a few hours later experienced my first hypoglygemic episode. Wow scary. Drank some milk (for the lactose) and felt better a short while later.

I am not sure I am prepared for this, but like anything else, it all happens one day at a time. What's that saying?...What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I will survive!

It was too late this afternoon to make the class appt, so I will have to wait till Monday. I'll be reading a lot of information this weekend plus searching the internet.

Thank you again. CC ROCKS!

ptanyer Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 4:26am
post #8 of 49

Sugarfrosted, I know exactly where you are. Been there. Cried and cried the whole afternoon. The doctor had sent me to the hospital for a 3 hr glucose tolerance test after I went to see him about my back hurting and being so thirsty all the time. The hospital called the dr half way through the test and he called me to tell me to go home. I was Type 2 diabetic and to come see him the next day to talk. I went home and cried and cried. I took food out of the cabinet and started reading labels and cried some more. My life was over at 42 and I am terrified of needles!!!

Talked to the dr and he gave me glucophage. Worked for me right off the bat. I measured my foods, tested my blood and exercised. I kept chocolate milk in the refrigerator and peanut butter in my desk drawer at work for the times my sugar would drop too low. I weighed 280 lbs when I was diagnosed and 5' 5". Today I am 54, and weigh 196 lbs. The portion control really helped me lose weight. I can eat anything in moderation. It took about a year for me to get everything under control and I feel better now than I ever have in my entire life. I can walk at the park with my granddaughter and not feel like I have to sit down all the time. The only downside to all of the weight loss is that now skin hangs everywhere and I feel a little embarrased wearing short sleeves and shorts in public. But I decided that life was too short to worry about that and I continue to wear shorts and short sleeves in warm/hot weather. I worked really hard to get myself down this far and I'm not going to let things get me down.

Luby was right about everything she said. You can continue to bake and decorate. As she said, it doesn't take a whole piece of cake to know whether it is good or bad. I take a taste of batter and icing as I am working on recipes and as I bake. But I don't feel the need for huge chunks of cake and frosting. And as for fondant, no one really eats it anyway. It's just a wonderful cake decorating tool.

Take classes, read about it. Work on balanced meals and remember what Luby said about sugar free, she is right on! Small portion of the real thing is much better. Look I make homemade ice cream and gelato. I still cook like crazy for holidays. I just don't eat much of it. A taste of something is good for me. My DH always laughs because I don't want to order a whole meal, meaning salad, entree, sides and bread. I really just want a very tiny portion of each. No way could I eat all of that now. And don't be embarrassed about asking for senior citizen meals, or even kids meals. Outback restaurant will let you order a kids meal for only a couple of bucks more. Some places will let anyone order senior citizen meals. They are smaller in size, not to mention a few dollars cheaper. If all else fails, eat part and bring the other part home for a second meal the next day.

I know you are down now, but I promise you if you follow the rules, you will be happier, live long and feel very good.

Take care and please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. As Luby so kindly said: long distance is free on my cell phone too!

beanbean Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:05am
post #9 of 49

Just a quick note of support...As a physican myself I cringed when I read you had received your diagnosis through the mail. Finding an endocrinologist or at least a primary care physican who will sit down face to face with you is important. Just mailing out a script for Amaryl is not how your doctor should be helping you manage this disease!

I am an emergency medicine resident and completely understand your fears based on your ED nursing background. We tend to see a higher proportion of the people who haven't had proper medical management of their conditions or who have ignored their chronic diseases.

You can still live a long and happy life. The key is YOU control your diabetes; the diabetes does not control YOU!

Take care!

punkiedunkscakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:13am
post #10 of 49

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this but I'll give it a try - if it doesn't work, PM me!

Also check out www.mendoza.com

I highly recommend the above book - there is so much information out there on the internet and in books, etc that it can become a bit overwhelming. This particular book, sent to me by my physician daughter seemed to work best.
I got my diagnosis back in March, was immediately put on Amaryl, Glucophage and insulin injections, and started on a strict diet and exercise regime. I am now 15 lbs lighter, taking the minimum dose of Glucophage only and feel great!
You can do it - I'm also an RN and in spite of all the warning signs, the diagnosis came as a total shock . I still have my moments but I know I can control this.
During the acute phase right after diagnosis, I was still switching glasses around, trying to find something to relieve the blurred vision, when one of my dearest friends asked if I would do a cake for her grandson's birthday - Spiderman! At this point I still hadn't told anyone ( wasn't ready for "pity" ) so I agreed. The cake turned out well but I had to finish it using a magnifying glass in one hand and piping bag in the other! But finish it I did! You can still cake, you can live your life to the fullest, don't be afraid.

Definitely set yourself up with an Endocrinologist for proper med control. I found that the Amaryl sent me into hypoglycemia almost daily. After 2 weeks of that nonsense all meds except for the Glucophage were stopped - no hypoglycemic episodes since.
Diet and exercise are very important and can be quite a challenge if you're not active to begin with. But once you get into the routine, it becomes just that, routine.
Research research research, arm yourself with as much information as you can, take control of your diabetes and you can basically have your cake and eat it too!!

SugarFrosted Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:43am
post #11 of 49

beanbean and punkiedunkscakes, I am so honored that both your replies to this thread were your first here on CC. Thank you so much and Welcome to CakeCentral.
Thank you both for your thoughts and advice.

Isn't CakeCentral the most wonderful place, to have such generous, kind people in it!

Jadeis Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:36am
post #12 of 49

In February, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I cried and cried and cried worrying about my baby. I watched my diet, tested religiously and took walks when I wasn't exhausted. Now I have a healthy baby boy and thankfully, the diabetes went away.

I can't believe your doctor sent you a *letter* instead of calling to set up an appointment. I would call and set up an appointment with a dietician and/or nurse to get more individualized care before the class.

You can do it! For me, it was more of a mental battle than physical. But once I learned what I needed to do, it made things easier.

I live on a mostly carb diet - fruits, pastas, cereal, etc. So I spent a lot of times trying to figure out ways to still include foods I loved in my diet. My first trip to the grocery store after talking to the dietician took over an hour. I looked at the labels on everything and left feeling quite discouraged.

Here are some tips for lower carb foods:

Danon Light and Fit Yogurt - most flavors only count as one carb where most other brands count as two or three

Dreamfield Pasta - one serving counts as 5 g digestible carbs (The first time I made this my husband went to work and told his boss, "I need to go on break first tonight. My wife made me undigestible food and I'm going to starve to death." I didn't think it was so bad!)

1/2 a cup of strawberries or raspberries is about 6-8 g carbs

Reduced fat graham cracker crusts have less carbs than the regular ones (I don't remember the numbers off hand). So you can make a pie with graham cracker crust, sugar free pudding, and sugar free cool whip and work it into your meal plan pretty easily.

Sugar Free Jello - zero carbs

Send me a pm if you have any questions or just want to talk. Good luck, and you can do it!

funcakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 49

I think that you need to realize that everyone that gets this news is scared. Then angry, then feels sorry for themselves, then accepts it and lives a happy life with the condition. Your panic right now is completely normal and will subside as you get more information. You probably will have ups and downs with your emotions for a while as you learn to live with this. Not only because of the shock and fear of the changes you must make, but blood sugar levels will throw you into mood swings and strong emotions unrelated to what is going on around you. This will not happen once the blood sugar levels are regulated.
The information and treatment for this has advanced a great deal. You will have to change some of the things you eat, but there is good care for you out there. For many people it just becomes part of their lifestyle, especially if they follow their health plan strictly.
I wish you well and my thoughts are with you as you make this difficult journey.

~IMHO I think it is best for your overall health if you try to eat whole foods as much as possible and try to limit the artificial sweeteners.

SugarFrosted Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #14 of 49

I appreciate the suggestions to call a dietician myself, but my insurance will only pay for the referrals my MD makes. And because today is Saturday, I am sort of stuck on my own until Monday when I can call the dietician he referred me to for the diabetic classes.

I have done some surfing on the net and found a variety of sample mealplans and printed several. After looking at them, I think part of my problem yesterday was that I don't normally eat meals that big. So I ate far too little before I took my first dose of Amaryl. Today I am trying to figure out how to eat more of the right things in the right combinations at the right times. At the moment, I feel like a newborn who needs to be fed every 2 hours...except I have to be the mom at the same time. It's all so confusing.

I have a convention to attend next weekend out of town. I hope I can get into some sort of rhythm with this whole process before then. But I wonder what sort of setbacks I might face while I am there. My husband is going with me, so he will be there to help me if I have issues. My birthday is next Saturday too, but no cake for me this year. I'm ok with that.

Thanks again to all of you for listening, and offering your help. That means the world to me. thumbs_up.gif

PS: Jadeis, thanks for honoring me with your first post. You've been lurking too long icon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #15 of 49

Hi SugarFrosted,

I just wanted to add to the already great advice you've received that when you go to your classes they will most likely provide you with a dining out guide that may help you when you need to travel next weekend. I had gestational diabetes with all 4 of my kids and was insulin dependant for all 4 of them. I was extremely upset when I got the news as well as I was worried how it would effect my baby but they all turned out to be very healthy babies.
If you do go out and the restaurant does not have any nutritional information for you, you can always request to have something else made that doesn't have as many carbs. I've done that a few times when I went out while pregnant when nothing seemed to suit from the restaurant's menu.
For my 1st pregnancy I used a needle for insulin and was so scared I had to have my DH give it to me for the 1st week but after that I was okay with it. For the next 3 pregnancies I was in Canada and there I was given a pen that had a really tiny needle in it and actually didn't hurt at all (I think the finger pricking was worse, lol).

Just take it one day at a time, watch your diet and excersise as much as possible.

CakesByLJ Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 49

Take a deep breath and relax.. this is not as scary once you educate yourself. The advice here has been good.. You are a nurse, and know the resources to seek out.. I am 12 yrs diagnosed.
It angers me so much to see Drs. just prescribe meds without benefit of face to face options with the patient... You have a right (Dr responsibility) to know your current condition.. your A1C; You should be allowed a voice in your treatment plan.. You, you~! have choices.
Every patient is different and your individual needs must be addressed accordingly. I cannot recommend strongly enough for you to take the inititive in your own health care. Take the classes, and read, read, read. Learn everything you can about diabetes so you can be educated and work with your doctor.. Change Dr if necessary till you find one who will listen and understand.
There is no cure for diabetes, but it can be managed totally. It is hard, never ending work, but it can be done, and you can live a full uninterupted life. Educate, and have a positive attitude.. You can beat this.. thumbs_up.gif
Much love and big hugs....

SugarFrosted Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #17 of 49

Thanks xstitcher and CakeByLJ

Since I started the med on Friday I have been on a rollercoaster ride of "Eat now and be hypoglycemic 2 hours from now" ...I mean every 2 hours or so. I haven't been able to do much of anything except eat and then feel terrible. So...After being up all last night, I called my pharmacist and discussed stopping the med till I can get an appt to see my MD. She said that "wouldn't hurt me."

All this causes me to rethink this situation.

1. Why was I not notified by my MD earlier in the week when he got my labs back? I found out his daughter got married last night and he has been doing wedding stuff all week, and his desk was piled high with charts to deal with. I was called by his office to ask if I would be interested in participating in a "clinical study" for weight loss, which I declined, but she never said anything about diabetes.

2. On Friday morning, I got a voice mail from a local hospital about an "education" referral by my MD...no mention of diabetes. That's why I called my MD in the first place to see "What's up with this?" I thought it was more "weight control" stuff.

3. When I called my MD's office, after she told me what my chart/lab results said and about the Rx, I should have told the nurse that I would not fill the Rx nor take the amaryl until I could make an appt to see my MD. Starting a new medicine with lots of side effects on a Friday afternoon was a bad idea, considering that my MD was unavailable to discuss it with me. I should have been given instructions on getting/using a glucose meter and strips, at the very least.

4. When I finally got my lab results in the mail (my results are always mailed to me so I know every result) incl the Rx, I saw that my MD has written some specific notes for me:
a. Borderline sugar
b. Diabetic class (with an additional note that the hospital will contact me)
c. Diet and exercise
d. Amaryl 2 mg daily

He also wrote notes here and there on my lab work. A couple of places had a note that a level was "borderline high (or low) but ok." Another note said to take Omega 3 supplement to help lower my triglycerides, and another said to take a Vit D supplement.

My blood sugar was 150, and my HbA1c was 7.2. It could've been a lot worse. Those were both within acceptable limits six months ago. The HbA1c was 5.9 last time. After comparing my previous labs to this set, I am almost wondering if these are actually MY lab results. Stranger things have happened, but it's unlikely there was a switch somewhere.

All that being said, he is a very good MD. I've been with him for about 15 years. Everyone loves him and he is generally very forthcoming with info and very accepting of feedback from me. In retrospect, I think if his daughter's wedding was not happening right then, I would have gotten a lot more info/help from him. This was just a bad situation all around. My hubby would say "Somebody dropped the ball."

I do feel much better after not having taken the amaryl today. I am being very careful with what I eat, but I really have no appetite at all. My stress level is way high and I feel that I am right on the edge of a panic attack. Been watching comedies all afternoon to boost my spirits and take my mind off all this. Laughter is supposed to be the best medicine. Tell me a joke, somebody icon_wink.gif

I'll keep you posted as I try to get some face time with my MD. Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 2:03am
post #18 of 49

You are on the right track.. I do wish you the best, and keep us posted after you see the Dr. It definately won't hurt to not take any meds till you see him. It might be possible to control with less meds.. or maybe even just diet and exercise.. but you won't know anything till you have a meeting with him.. You are not alone... < hugs >

SugarFrosted Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #19 of 49

Update: I saw my MD today and he apologized all over himself for lack of communication. He said the whole situation would have been completely different if he had requested that I come in for a follow up conference to discuss my labs and THEN decide on a plan of action.

( He is a good man and a good MD, so I trust he is not just covering his a**.)

Anyway, he said he has NOT decided 100% that I actually am diabetic because I have what is known as "metabolic syndrome" slightly elevated sugar, high triglycerides, and being overweight. Also, he hopes we can control the situation with diet alone, and some sort of exercise.

I also called and talked with the dietician who eased my mind immensely. I have a consult appt Monday, with diabetic classes to follow.

My MD's recommendations:
1. NO MEDS for the time being; IF meds in future, we will try a diff med.
2. Keep the appt with the dietician I have next Monday, take the diabetic classes, get a meter, etc.
3. Follow the prescribed diet.
4. Exercise: swimming or "senior" water aerobics, because of my arthritic knees.
5. Return in 4 weeks for repeat labs (FBS & HbA1c) and reassessment.

I am very compliant in regards to MDs orders. I will be following the plan to the letter.

Atm, I feel that the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders. I am sore all over from being tense for days, like clenched muscles.

I recognize this is a serious situation which must be monitored. However, I am cautious, as opposed to aggressive, regarding this situation. One day at a time, one step at a time.

Thank you everyone for all your warm hugs and caring words. You've helped me more than you will ever know. I will post an update when/if there is a change.

CakesByLJ Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:34am
post #20 of 49

Thank you for the update.. I am happy with the progress of this.. He does indeed seem to be taking a sensible approach, and giving good advice that I would absolutely follow.. icon_biggrin.gif I admire your willingness to work at this, and I know you can do it... If you ever have any questions, I will be happy to help if I can.. hugs and best wishes...

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #21 of 49

Today I had my consultation with the dietician. She said my "food diary" was the best she'd ever seen and that my food choices were right on target. I told her that taking notes and keeping records as a nurse must have trained me for this, because "if it wasn't written down, it didn't happen" so we wrote everything down to CYA (cover your a**)

I feel a lot better after talking to her. I was very concerned about being locked down by restrictions, but as far as I can tell, and as has been said here, it's all about portion size. She told me that almost anything can be included in a meal plan if all the parts of it are accounted for, in the allowed number of servings of a type of food in a day. It wasn't what I expected. :HUGE sigh of relief:

The nurse there trained me in use of the glucose meter. Cool little gadget! My blood sugar was 115. We were both surprised at how normal that was. Tomorrow I take the first of 3 diabetic classes. Also tomorrow, I need to call my insurance company to ask which testing supplies company they prefer that I use. I am on my way to feeling fairly worry free. thumbs_up.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:54am
post #22 of 49

That is excellant news Sugar. You are a perfect example of how much education plays in this.. you can't have too much, and it leads to better health, and peace of mind. Way to go, and keep up the good work~!

CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:55am
post #23 of 49

That is excellant news Sugar. You are a perfect example of how much education plays in this.. you can't have too much, and it leads to better health, and peace of mind. Way to go, and keep up the good work~!

xstitcher Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 5:38am
post #24 of 49

I'm so glad to hear that you've gotten some good news and got a chance to go to the class. I'll pray for you that the exercise and diet is all you'll ever need to manage this and that you don't get full blown diabetes.

KathysCC Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:51am
post #25 of 49

Wow, I was shocked when I read your story for the first time tonight. I can't believe that you were prescribed a medicine that can fluctuate your blood sugar that drastically when your blood sugar levels were not that high. I know nothing about this medicine Amaryl but what it did to you seems extreme. I am glad to know that things have changed since your first posted this thread and that you are no longer taking it.

My sugar levels are about what yours are and my A1C was only 6.4 yet they insist I stay on glucophage (metformin). I am only seeing a family doctor and wonder if I should change to a an endocrinologist.

Diabetes is a scary word but what most people don't understand is that most people with Type 2 diabetes don't have too little insulin but what is called insulin resistance. Our tissues do not use insulin properly. That is what I believe is called "metabolic syndrome".

The word diabetes brings on visions of insulin shots but the reality is that weight loss, exercise and better eating habits could cure most people like you and me who are borderline with slightly elevated sugar levels. Unfortunately I have found that those life-style changes are very difficult for me. I wish you the best in your quest for a healthier life and am glad this scare turned out to be minor in the end.

SugarFrosted Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:05am
post #26 of 49

Thank you, KathysCC, and others who have kept up with my story. I am doing very well these days, barely a month after my diagnosis. It's amazing to me how scared I was, and in this short time, now I'm not scared at all. Being a nurse, I imagined all the very worst things that my diagnosis meant. But I control this thing now, it doesn't control me.

The diabetes classes were informative and the dietician was very encouraging. I am exercising almost every day, sometimes twice a day. I read every food label, and I eat what I should, when I should. I check my blood sugar when I am supposed to. I've lost about 8 lbs, and though I have lots more weight to lose, it's a start. I feel good most of the time, even great sometimes. My blood sugars are really good now.

On Monday, it's time for a follow-up A1c and fasting blood sugar. We'll see how well I've done. Wish me luck that the labs are good enough that I can stay off the meds.

Thanks so much for all your positive thoughts sent my way!

KathysCC Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #27 of 49

It is good to know that you are no longer scared. My diagnosis scared 20 pounds off of me. I was eating right for a while. Though I've kept off those twenty pounds and my A1C's are now below 6.0, my morning sugar is always around 140 so I am still on medication. I still need to lose more weight and exercise. I'll have a new blood test next week. We will have to compare numbers and our progress. It is wonderful that you have already lost 8 pounds. Believe me, that will do wonders for your numbers. icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #28 of 49

You are off to a great start of managing your diabetes Sugar~! Good luck to you on Monday, I will be thinking about you~!

Adevag Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 49

Hi, it seems like you are doing the right thing. I am terrified of diabetes myself. My mother in law has it, so has her sister and I see how the disease has destroyed their lives. However, they did NOT make any changes in their life style - at all!!! I have read about people with diabetes who changes their life style and cured themselves from diabetes. You don't have to accept yourself as a diabetic. Doctors are trained to give you medicine for certain symptoms and certain levels in your body. But you don't have to do what they say. If you stay away from the food that makes you sick (sugar, processed foods etc) and eat as natural and whole foods as possible I think you will get your insulin back to normal. I have so many sweet teeth and sugar is very addictive. But I don't keep sugar in my home, that way if all you have is healthy food at home, then your body only gets healthy foods.
For treats you can use substitutes for sugar. Do you have a health food store? Try brown rice syrup or agave nectar. Agave nectar is very sweet but has a low glycemic index. (they have calories but are better than sugar.)
I hope I don't come across as lecturing you, I just want to share with what I have learned. (I'm at the moment reading Dr. Hyman's book "Ultra Mind Solution" and it is very inspiring...)

SugarFrosted Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #30 of 49

I FINALLY got my lab results! I guess they just don't call or mail out good news. I called the MD's office yesterday to find out why I had not received my lab results. They have ALWAYS mailed them to me before.

(That reminds me, last week when I was in for the labwork, I told the nurse I had not yet received the results of the micro-albumin test which had been done 4 weeks before. She went to check and then as I was having my labs drawn, the tech said "I need you to pee too" and I asked why? She said "I need to do a micro-albumin test." I asked if there was a problem with the one done 4 weeks prior and she said she'd check.

She came back and told me "never mind, the previous test was normal." It turned out that the nurse just ordered another test instead of looking up the results. Makes me wonder how many people don't ask questions and just have unnecessary extra tests done. Think of how that would add up in insurance costs over time. I am a nurse, I always ask questions.)

Anyway, back to the current labs situation: The secretary checked my chart on the computer and told me that my MD had written "GOOD!" and his initials next to my results. I asked that the results be mailed to me and she said she would.

Ok, the results (can we have a drum roll please!): My A1c is 6.4 (down from 7.2) and my FBS was 124 (down from 154 last time).

Incidentally, I checked a FBS at home 30 mins prior to my labwork, and it was 107. I have read that when you wake up and move around and perhaps have some stress, your FBS will rise some, because your liver releases glucose as a self-protective mechanism of the body. Additionally, I have read that there can be a 10% or more variation in BS done on a meter as opposed to a "real lab" result. Very interesting!

I have a follow up appt with my dietician next week. I think I have lost about 15 lbs now. My scales are different from the ones at the clinic so I can't be 100% sure. It's all good!

End result: No Meds! Keep doing what I am doing! Yay! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%