Wilton Way Back In The Day

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:32am by CakesByLJ

Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #1 of 4

My grandma and I were comparing cake decorating techniques, and she said that she took the Wilton classes when she was a newlywed. Soon after, she went to a demonstration given by one of the Wiltons, and he didn't use any metal tips at all. Instead, he created all of the shapes he needed by snipping the tip of a parchment bag.

She said they also learned how to make mints for weddings, and that the basic cake decorating kit came with a mint funnel.

3 replies
jensenscakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 4

I have a friend who can just snip the tip on her bag and it comes out shaped it's really impressive. It's so much fun to learn things and see how much it's changed over the years.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:09am
post #3 of 4

Y'know, Norman Wilton was the sh** I mean that in a good way. The Wilton Encyclopedias totally rock--they've got it all in there. They learned how to make the bucks and who to market to. Pissed off and closed shop on tons of neighborhood bakeries but boy did they build a sweet empire huh.

And yeah I mean there's a dang mold and tool for freaking everything now. I had to learn all that stuff. There's so much schtuff you can buy and use so so way way freakin easy peasy.

Now there's spray color and now spray luster colors and I mean I cried myself to sleep forever for an air brush--I mean I got one now but...lots & lots of great toys and tools for newbies to be real good right out of the box.

Anyway...yeah cake & mints was a very common order, much more so than a groom's cake.

CakesByLJ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:32am
post #4 of 4

I have watched and traveled the journey with Wilton over the last 20 years. They have gone from true teachers and providers to the cake novice/decorator (who wanted to learn the art of decorating), to the instant gratification of "project in a box" for the homemaker. They are no longer interested in promoting the art/craft of decorating, but instead cater to "quick and easy" methods. It's all about marketing, and I mean no disrespect to Wilton.. on the contrary.. It's business, and it's not just this industry.. It's a new generation...

Quote by @%username% on %date%