Swiss Meringue Buttercream With Shortening

Baking By suzie1962 Updated 2 Apr 2013 , 2:52pm by kensoven

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #1 of 9

Hi:

I have a wedding cake coming up. I usually use SMBC frosting as I don't like shortening or powdered sugar frostings. The wedding is going to be outdoors during the day. I wonder if there is a recipe that is just like SMBC but maybe has a little bit of shortening in it just for some stability. What about using meringue powder? Would that make it more stable? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks.

8 replies
erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:58am
post #2 of 9

You can sub out a little of the butter for shortening. Other than that I just make sure to refrigerate the cake until the last possible moment to minimize how long it has to sit out. Last year I drove 3 hours in July with a cake in my trunk to a wedding with IMBC on it and it was fine. (I had the backseat folded down and the air conditioning blasting, though!)

BillaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillaCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 9

Suzie1962, did you try this and if so, how did it work out? I live in Central Texas and teh heat is killing my Swiss buttercream. I don't like the powdered sugar versions either. I did make a SBC with cream cheese added to it this past weekend. It started to melt on me which is typical for anything with cream cheese and I added a little PS to help stabilize it, which helped a bit but it still had to be popped in the freezer. Argh. I'm beginning to think that it's not possible to find a recipe for hot regions of the country!

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #4 of 9

Billacakes:

no I haven't tried this yet. The wedding I am doing this cake for isn't until September. I will probably do a trial sometime soon, though. I will post what the results are.

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 9

I use SMBC also. My friend makes the shortening/10X version, and we are both happy with our choices. Hers, of course, stands up to the heat much better (how hot would it have to be to melt shortening! icon_eek.gif ). I read from one of my better baking books to try a little shortening with the butter, but I would make sure it's hi-ratio shortening, as Crisco leaves that oil slick in your mouth since they changed the formula.

I've also started using ice packs around the cake box, and on top if the lid fits down without smooshing. Then I'm not so worried during a long delivery.

In the Cake Bible (I've used since the '80's), she has a White Chocolate Cream Cheese BC recipe. It's really good tasting and just sweet from the chocolate. There is a note after the recipe that one of her friends in Atlanta made it for a summer wedding cake. "She decreased the butter to 2 oz and it held up quite well". Here's the recipe:

9oz melted white chocolate, cooled but not still fluid
12 oz cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup butter, softened (which she decreased to 2 oz)
1 1/2 Tblsp fresh lemon juice

Beat cream cheese with a flat beater until smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the cooled chocolate until smooth (make sure metal mixer bowl isn't too cold or chocolate will set and create lumps). Beat in butter and lemon juice. Rebeat just before frosting and after sitting in the bowl while working. Makes about 4 3/4 cups

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 9

I have added shortening to my SMBC recipe i used 2 parts butter to 1 part shortening. I live in the tropics or as my DH would say a stone's throw away from the equator.

leonilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leonilyn Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 9

maybe i should try SMBC with shortening in it as I need one that can hold with the hot and humid weather we have here... 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 9

I'm in the hottest part of the country and regular SMBC works fine for me. I run the a/c of course, and anywhere I need to deliver to is running the a/c as well.

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 9

You can try Modern Buttercream by Joshua on Craftsy, it is a free video and a great recipe that holds well in hot weather.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%