Pink Icing Bleached In The Sun!

Decorating By ashleerebecca Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 9:06am by sheena

ashleerebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleerebecca Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 6

I was tight on cash, and took a last minute cake job (2 days notice). The client turned out to be a nightmare! She finally approved the design at 9 pm the night before. Then called me back to see if she could change the filling, after I filled it! (of, course, I did say no to that) I had a full day planned the next day, so I stayed up late to decorate the cake so I wouldn't have to worry about it the next day. So, I had the cake finished, it was pink and white stripes on one tier and pink and white dots on the other. I set it in the shade in the kitchen, without thinking of the movement of the sun through the skylights. I came home that afternoon (cake delivery at 5 pm) and HALF of the cake was SOLID WHITE! The pink was completely bleached out of the buttercream. The client didn't actually need the cake until the following morning, so I called her and re-did the entire thing! So much for making extra money!

5 replies
CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:31am
post #2 of 6

Oh no..... I'm so sorry that happened to you. icon_sad.gif You were such a good sport for taking a cake on 2 days notice. It sounds like you had a great design too. I'm not sure I'd be so patient with someone about approving the design with that kind of notice! It sounds like you did a great job in the end. Good for you! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 7:50am
post #3 of 6

Bleah! What a bummer! I didn't realize this was a problem for bc too -yikes! The first time this happened to me it was on a little fondant bunny. I too had him near the window but in the shade, and didn't consider the movement of the sun. I was astonished that it took less than 1/2 hour for the pink fondant to go white icon_eek.gif! Now anything I make with red in it (i.e. pink, purple, orange) stays in the dark thumbs_up.gif. This, by the way, has something to do with the way they reformulated red food dye after the Red Dye #2 scare way back in the 70's.

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:04am
post #4 of 6

OK, I'm dating myself a little, but what Red Dye #2 scare?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:41am
post #5 of 6

Is it you who is dating yourself, or me? I do remember it as a child, because it was the reason they stopped making red M&M's lol. Some researchers determined that that particular dye caused cancer in lab rats, so they took it off the market and had to come up with new ingredients to create a red food dye. Whatever those ingredients are, they don't seem to be as stable as good ol' cancer causing RDN2. icon_rolleyes.gif

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 9:06am
post #6 of 6

Cheers to your patience with the customer's demands! and patience to re-do the entire thing again. I too had an experience like your's once but with tiny fondant elephants.. I left them by a window to dry and didn't realise the sun would beat it from thet window...my poor little grey elephants turned a weird greeny-grey and they looked like they were sick! But the parts that the sun didnot fall on were still grey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%