Tears And Push On? Or Quit?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 25

I just need to vent, guys. I have what I thought would be an easy-peasy wedding cake for tomorrow. Three stacked tiers, clean, no accents, and about 40 butterflies to arrange on it. I wired the butterflies the other night - Done. Baked and froze - Done. Crumb coated yesterday - Done. Today, I feel tearing my hair out. It's like a sitcom; anything that can go wrong is going wrong!

For some reason, my BC that I always use is misbehaving. Not smoothing well; I'm going over and over it with my blade and boiling water like I always do. Taking too long, I think to myself, to do each layer. Finish all three layers, and when I go to drop the middle one on the bottom, my 4 y.o. daughter trips over a kitchen chair which bumps the table that I'm at and I drop the cake over an 1" off center. Try to carefully lift and shift, and my fingers slip into the icing on the bottom layer. (Intermingled with all this are requests from my kids for snacks, water, etc.) Now I'm RE-smoothing, and the minutes just tick tock tick.

My DH comes home and says "how's it going?" I say "GREAT. I think I'm just going to do the orders I've taken this summer and not take anymore." So he says" Hmmm...probably a good idea. You can just tell people that you're booked and that should keep the pipeline interested for the future" (Cause guys like to solve problems). Then, to top it all off, I open the local paper to read about how a cupcake boutique in a neighboring town was just voted 2009 best something or other. I'm happy for her, but it's not the right day for me to read that. <sigh>

So the assembled cake is now in my downstairs fridge and I'm so nervous about it.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

24 replies
sari66 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 25

I'm sorry that happened but here's what you do, have yourself a good cry and a nice stiff drink. Then deliver the cake and move on to the next icon_smile.gif
I'm sure the cake will be a hit.

sweetcravings Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 25

Man, have i had those types of days. Sorry to hear that all is going wrong today. I hope that a good night sleep will make you feel better. Isn't it always the simplest cakes that cause us the most grief?
I know i had the same sort of experience on my last cake. I like you was sooo prepared, thought, hey, tomorrow will be a walk in the park everything is all ready to go and it should only take me an hour or so to finish...ya right! Darn thing took me the better half of the day. I was just shaking my head, it shouldn't have taken me so long, but it did. After that i was questioning my decorating ability big time. I mean how can i possibly make a living out of this, if i can only push out one cake a day? I read all the time of decorators that do multiple cakes a day, a week, and i think there is no way i could manage that. Oh well, i'm over it. I was rejoicing that the cake got finished and that i had no other planned for some time. I guess i have lots to work on. That's when i switch to cookies for awhile.lol
Hang in there...i'm sure it will all work out.

Doug Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 25

guy solving problem (so shoot me!)

1) KIDS -- outside! - Go play it's summer!!!

2) Snacks/water etc. -- prerationed in cooler OUTSIDE back door. when it's empty it's empty and no more for you until dinner.

3) NO fussy work until DH is home to supervise the wee ones while he BBQs OUTSIDE

FromScratch Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 25
Originally Posted by Doug

2) Snacks/water etc. -- prerationed in cooler OUTSIDE back door. when it's empty it's empty and no more for you until dinner.

3) NO fussy work until DH is home to supervise the wee ones while he BBQs OUTSIDE

This is what I do... thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 25

Good work, Doug. Now add in SPS and your cakes will be easier to stack.

SJ169 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 25

Go get yourself a nice big drink!! Sorry you are having a bad day icon_sad.gif it happens to as all though!!
feel better icon_biggrin.gif

CoutureCake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 25

Oh, everyone has THOSE days... Like when you've got an elaborate cake deadline that you'll be lucky to finish if you stay up all night and the DH decides that he can't pick up your 2yo DD from daycare nor watch her for the remainder of the evening because he wants to watch the B-Ball finals undisturbed icon_mad.giftapedshut.giftapedshut.gif ...

O.k. on the icing... check your container of Crisco, if it's trans-fat free, that's why it's not cooperating... Either make the switch to all-butter or purchase high ratio in bulk...

Good luck, we've all been there at one point or another icon_biggrin.gif The thing is, eventually you'll figure out to teach the kiddos that they're not allowed near the kitchen whenever anything cake/icing related is in sight... icon_biggrin.gif

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:11pm
post #9 of 25

I have to agree with Doug and Sari66... I am sorry you are having a rough time...

tarheelgirl Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 25

Since school is out for summer.. I have decided to change my hours for decorating at night!! Mine are constantly needing snack, water.. anything that requires ME! When I'm in the cake zone.. I'm in it!

Hope you have a better day! I second the SPS!!! =)

madgeowens Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 25

Don't use alcohol as a fix all....no no.....take a deep breath......take a break to hug DH and the kids........I must say I hand it to you because no way would I have ever tried to do that with little ones at home........no way.....So if you can do all this, I say you are wonder woman, just one bad day is not enough for you to quit......but if its making you unhappy and stressed, then maybe DH knows something....they are sometimes pretty smart, these Bohemians. Good luck dear.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 25

Eh......my 9 to 5 wins the "best of award" every year. Are we? Well, yeah, really we are. But we win because our boss copies the entry forms and sends them to all of our locations and has the employees fill them out. So they get inundated with a lot of entries. I am also convinced it has to do with who pays the most for advertising throughout the year with the company that sponsors the "Best of" program. So don't put a lot of stock into that award that person received. It's awesome, and I qould exploit the heck out of it if I won it....but it's not necessarily an indicator that yes, everyone is in agreement that they are the best. icon_smile.gif

laneysmom Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 25

Benn where you are many, many times. Walk away. Take a break. And calm down.

My husband has a very dry wit and sometimes the line, "yeah, I don't know why you continue to do this," goes over like a fart in church.

Relax. Destress in whatever way you choose. It will all come together and you will laugh about this tomorrow.

lainalee Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 25

A hug for you. And I'll join you for for the drink, lol. And Doug, I like the way you think!

Deb_ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #15 of 25

Well I'm in MA and my afternoon has been about the same as yours.

Maybe it's the humidity, but my BC is doing the same thing and I use hi-ratio not Crisco.

My crumbcoat started sliding off my tiers when I went to apply the final coat and then I couldn't get any of the icing to adhere to the cake.

All sloppily iced tiers are now in the fridge, (which I NEVER have to do) because I won't be able to smooth them unless the BC hardens.

Oh and my "little ones" are 19 and 21 so it's definitely not that...........icon_wink.gif

I'm blaming it on the sucky New England weather we're all having.

I figured you'd feel better if you knew that someone else is also having a bad "cake" day.

Better days ahead I hope! icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:46am
post #16 of 25

Today is not to make a decision about putting an end to your cake business. Take a deep breath, deliver your cake and save this decision for another day.

I have had those days myself, I have six kids and I try to schedule my cakes when I know I can decorate on a day my dh is off. he works 4 days and 4 days off so the schedule is great for this but....when he works they are 12 hr days and with driving he is pretty much not awake for more than an hour when he is home. Best laid plans aside, he always seems to get called in on days when I have intricate sculpted cakes scheduled. My older daughters are a big help but being that I a home baking business the constant "I need a drink" "Can I have a snack" "Mommy she was mean to me" "Mommy he hit me" can send it all downhill. I am glad my state allows a home bakery but if we ever move...I WANT A SEPERATE KITCHEN

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #17 of 25

Aw, you guys make me feel all warm and gooey inside with all these cake hugs. icon_smile.gif

Doug, you are a genius! Come Monday, when school is over and DH is back to work, that cooler will be a permanent fixture on the deck. And thanks to everyone else for commiserating! I really appreciate coming back to this, and will finish this cake and check it off my list and move on.

No Mai-tai necessary...I went to my 4 y.o.'s gymnastics recital for an hour tonight and that put me in a better spirit. icon_wink.gif

dkelly, sorry to hear that your cake day is like mine. I think it does have something to do with the humidity. Man, this BC was behaving like an evil twin of my regular stuff.

leahs, I'm going to look into SPS. I have to start revisiting the methods I was taught years ago and make a few changes.

Thank you all very much for "getting me through".

summernoelle Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:55am
post #18 of 25

Sorry you are so stressed! It sounds like you just need to take a break-get out for a little bit if you can. That's what I do when it gets to be too much-go grab some dinner, or just anything tl get away from the cakes.
I hope it all works out.

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:25pm
post #19 of 25

Ok, new day. The wedding cake still isn't my best, but I'm hesitant to play w/ it anymore. Smoothed out some spots, and placed the butterflies.

Btw, somehow I discovered three days ago by digging around on the internet that the MS butterfly cake was fondant. (I found a blog by an MS mag employee.) My couple wanted all BC. I think the back side of the cake looks too plain, but that's what Martha's cake would have looked like too. ??? That's why I was stressing about the smoothness yesterday.

Anyway, it is what it is. I'll post a pic later...thanks again CC'ers!

Loucinda Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #20 of 25

I am in Ohio here and the humidity is AWFUL.....(and I am lucky, my baby is 21 !!) Glad all is well, just sending you cake {{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}

1234me Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #21 of 25

what helps me in times like these is that even the bes tof the best decorators out there have days that just suck! As long as there are more good days than bad, keep on truckin!

cakedesigner59 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #22 of 25

I vote push on! I've posted some similiar experienced on here, and the outpouring of "sugar" (love) was enough to get me to dust myself off and carry on. I hope you do the same. Your work is wonderful; don't deprive the world of your sugar creations!

scrabblemomof1 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:50pm
post #23 of 25

I don't even risk sending my one outside. Depending on how much I have to do, i'll arrange for babysitting! icon_biggrin.gif ...then it's ON!!

ayerim979 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:57pm
post #24 of 25
Originally Posted by FromScratch

This is what I do... thumbs_up.gif

That is just one great idea thumbs_up.gif Im gonna have to do that , when I have 2 yr old and hubby breathing down my neck, I hate it when hes looking at every imperfection while Im still working on a cake ~~sigh~~

Swede-cakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #25 of 25

So, one final update on that weekend. I'm sure my mettle was being tested with that cake!

I got to the venue, and the coordinator was late setting up the tables, so there was no place to set up the cake. Plus the woman (bride's sister) who was named on the contract as the person to sign off on the cake wasn't there yet. I talked to the chef, and she signed off and let me put the cake in her fridge (plenty of room), as it was humid that afternoon. I left after that, as I had another delivery and couldn't stay any longer to wait. I'm hoping everything went well. I'm most bummed that I didn't get to take a pic of the cake all set up nice on a cake table.

Anyway, thanks guys. It's over, and I'm still cakin'!

Quote by @%username% on %date%