My First Cake Bulge! What Do I Do??

Decorating By CountryCakery4 Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm by CountryCakery4

CountryCakery4 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 15

Oh no,,, my stomache is down near my feet. And I think I could cry!!! icon_cry.gif I tried a new icing and I think I misjudged how stiff it should be for my dam. I also tried doing a 3 layer cake by cutting my 3" and filling, then adding filling and putting a 2" on that. Well I should have known this cake would be a problem right there because things began to ooze out the sides right away. I began to try to plug the leaks with more icing. I felt like a cartoon trying to keep the dam from bursting and I needed more fingers!! I'm so embarrased, I should have taken it apart right then and started the construction over but I steamrollered on and thought, well if I get it coated and chilled that'll keep the filling in right?? WRONG That icing?? Still too soft only now the whole cake is covered. So I think (really, WHAT was I thinking?) well if I cover it in fondant then maybe it'll all stay after it's chilled. Well surprise, surprise, there's a HUGE bulge. So I realize that this was all avoidable and I'm really really stupid but is there any way to fix it? Or do I need to start over? And by start over I mean take it apart and put it back together or really start over and bake whole new cakes because they'll be soggy or something. (Oh the melodrama) Oh boy this is how I feel right now:
icon_eek.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

14 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 15

((hugs)) On another note, your collection of smileys at the bottom is like a pretty rainbow. icon_biggrin.gif

If this is for sale, yes, do whatever you need to do to make it right. Too many threads that seem to start out lately "Well, I could see the bulge/lean when I left it, and I guess (by some weird strange coincidence) that it got worse as the reception/party went on." Maybe your cake is stable enough to desconstruct the whole thing and start over with new frosting.

madgeowens Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 15

It sounds to me like a lost cause IF the cake is soggy from the filling coming thru the dam.........thats a shame.....you will make the right decision...we can't see it, but from what you described, I would either do over or make a CRUSTING type frosting and see if it holds.........up to you...good luck

CountryCakery4 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 15

LOL Jamie, you made me laugh out loud which really says something right now as the tears begin to squeeze out the sides of my eyes. This cake is for my best friend's daughters birthday party and we've been (I've been) soooo excited about this cake for a month b/c the date kept getting pushed. I wasn't going to charge her but she's insisting on paying. At least for ingredients. She called and began to thank me for 'all I'm doing' and I said thank me when you see it. Now this is beginning to be 'castigate me time'. Take a big breath and figure out how to fix it. Is is ridiculous to think that I can just push it back in and secure it somehow? Wishful thinking, I know. If there's no way then I'll start taking it apart.

sweetcravings Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 15

Once it starts to bulge i dunno what else you can do to correct it except take it apart. Sorry..maybe there is some other way i haven't heard, i dunno. Perhaps try smoothing the bulge area with a fondant smoother and see if that smooths it out some. If the bulge is significant i would be worried about a blow out..if nothing else i would pin prick the area to make sure the whole side doesn't blow. I feel for you, i would be so upset if it were me. I'm tending to think that it wasn't the icing per se, but the fact that you filled the cake and didn't let it rest. If you filled it one day, crumb coated and let it rest overnight it would settle. Then you could easily scrap off the excess icing and no bulge. It makes a huge difference IMO.
Wishing you all the best of luck, and sending hugs your way. Hang in there.

Suz

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 15

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I really wish this was a yes or no question. And it would be if we could see it, and even feel it. If it is too mushy, like a lot of moisture has soaked into the cake, then taking it apart is probably moot. You might need to start over.

I think what may help...pop that sucker back in the fridge, get it as firm as possible. Then gently lift the layers off while it is firm, with a large spatula, hamburger flipper, cake lifter, something large thin and flat. If it easily pops off that way....maybe you'll be ok.

CountryCakery4 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 15

My DH (who is a carpenter/reno guy extrordinaire) suggested cutting a swatch of the fondant over the bulge, get it firm then scrape it back & recover. Maybe I can cover the patch with decorations. If that doesn't work then I'll deconstruct and start over. My heart rate is slowing and logic is making it's first tentative steps toward a comeback. Now I just need a babysitter for my one year old! icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCakery4

My DH (who is a carpenter/reno guy extrordinaire) suggested cutting a swatch of the fondant over the bulge, get it firm then scrape it back & recover. Maybe I can cover the patch with decorations. If that doesn't work then I'll deconstruct and start over. My heart rate is slowing and logic is making it's first tentative steps toward a comeback. Now I just need a babysitter for my one year old! icon_smile.gif

Awhhhhhh, don't you just love supportive husbands... thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif Give that guy a big kiss. Mine is like that too. In moments of crisis he is always the voice of calm and gets me through it. I have no doubt you will figure this all out with him by your side. Glad to hear you are feeling a little better. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you. Keep us posted.

Suzanne

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #9 of 15

OK, here's what I did. I did pull back some of the fondant to see if I could get away with just scraping out the excess burst but no deal. It was all very soft underneath the fondant and there were other lumps and imperfections as well so I decided to scrap the whole construction. And yes, don't you just love a supportive hubby. He always manages to calm Mount Vesuvius. (me) icon_razz.gif So I took the whole thing apart. Took the top layer off onto a cake circle (I knew making a special trip to town for those yesterday was the right decision!!!), scraped the lemon filling off into a bowl and got all the surfaces and edges clean. Thank goodness the cake itself was alright. I love pound cake! Did the same with the bottom layer only left the filling. Scraped it in from the edges though. I made a new batch of icing. BTW madgeowens, the icing I used was indydebi's and it's supposed to crust really well. It was my first time using that icing so I'm sure it was me and not the icing. I made a new batch and put a bunch more PS into it to make it sturdier. I think that was the problem earlier. So I piped in a new border and made it extra thick (aka wide) and spread the filling back around the bottom threw the middle layer on and did the same with the dam. The filling that I had scraped out was now mixed with some icing and a few crumbs so it was a fair bit thicker and creamier so I decided that since it's still all good stuff I'd mix it all up, put it back in (a little less this time) and call it lemon cream filling. icon_wink.gif I put the top back on and proceeded to crumb coat it. It is now setting up in my deep freeze. What I think I'm going to do is let it finish setting up, which should be soon, and then put another coat on, throw it back in the deep freeze to harden and mist it for the fondant. I'd better get crackin' though, b/c I now need to make another batch of MMF. This'll be the 3rd count 'em 3rd batch far this cake. And that's a whole 'nuther story folks! ps: I originally took pics to post with my OP but couldn't find the hardware to transfer them to my computer. But I will definitely take pics of the finished cake and post them here when I can. You guys are the best!!! Thanks for seeing me through my terrible afternoon. Valuable lessons learned. (Yeah, at least a half a dozen! icon_lol.gif ) Hopefully the rest of the cake goes smoothly. Here's me crossing my fingers. Oh, yeah, and my toes too! icon_lol.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:31am
post #10 of 15

OK, here's what I did. I did pull back some of the fondant to see if I could get away with just scraping out the excess burst but no deal. It was all very soft underneath the fondant and there were other lumps and imperfections as well so I decided to scrap the whole construction. And yes, don't you just love a supportive hubby. He always manages to calm Mount Vesuvius. (me) icon_razz.gif So I took the whole thing apart. Took the top layer off onto a cake circle (I knew making a special trip to town for those yesterday was the right decision!!!), scraped the lemon filling off into a bowl and got all the surfaces and edges clean. Thank goodness the cake itself was alright. I love pound cake! Did the same with the bottom layer only left the filling. Scraped it in from the edges though. I made a new batch of icing. BTW madgeowens, the icing I used was indydebi's and it's supposed to crust really well. It was my first time using that icing so I'm sure it was me and not the icing. I made a new batch and put a bunch more PS into it to make it sturdier. I think that was the problem earlier. So I piped in a new border and made it extra thick (aka wide) and spread the filling back around the bottom threw the middle layer on and did the same with the dam. The filling that I had scraped out was now mixed with some icing and a few crumbs so it was a fair bit thicker and creamier so I decided that since it's still all good stuff I'd mix it all up, put it back in (a little less this time) and call it lemon cream filling. icon_wink.gif I put the top back on and proceeded to crumb coat it. It is now setting up in my deep freeze. What I think I'm going to do is let it finish setting up, which should be soon, and then put another coat on, throw it back in the deep freeze to harden and mist it for the fondant. I'd better get crackin' though, b/c I now need to make another batch of MMF. This'll be the 3rd count 'em 3rd batch far this cake. And that's a whole 'nuther story folks! ps: I originally took pics to post with my OP but couldn't find the hardware to transfer them to my computer. But I will definitely take pics of the finished cake and post them here when I can. You guys are the best!!! Thanks for seeing me through my terrible afternoon. Valuable lessons learned. (Yeah, at least a half a dozen! icon_lol.gif ) Hopefully the rest of the cake goes smoothly. Here's me crossing my fingers. Oh, yeah, and my toes too! icon_lol.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:32am
post #11 of 15

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:46am
post #12 of 15

Well, I'm not sure how that happened but maybe third times the charm and all will be well!!! icon_smile.gif

CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:14am
post #13 of 15

OK, 2 am. So tired. Going to bed. Buuuuuut...... the cake is all in one piece, it's iced, it's fondanted, and it's in the fridge. Whew! The rest of the decorations can wait till morning and the party's not till after lunch. I know that all your hugs and suggestions helped me keep my sanity today. Thank you all so much!!!!! thumbs_up.gif Good night!

sweetcravings Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #14 of 15

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I knew you could do it. I'm glad it all worked out. Sounds like a really long day though. I bet you slept like a baby last night.
I can't wait to see pictures. Have a relaxing day.

suzanne

CountryCakery4 Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 15

Wow. Really, that's all that I can say about it now. The cake turned out beautifully. Actually, I'd have to say that it's probably going to turn out to be one of my favourites so far! Now, I bought all the decorations so I didn't end up messing around making them out of fondant. But this is definitely my first CC cake. Made with the love & support of you guys! I'm still trying to figure out my picture situation but when I do I'll definitely post them to this thread as well as the galleries. My next challenge: A Thomas the Tank Engine sheet cake with all fondant decorations. Due Tues! Two thank you cakes for the ladies at my daughter's school due no later than Wed. and cleaning up our house and packing up my family for a two week vacation that we leave for early Thurs. morning. Oh, boy. Coffee is my friend!!! It's Sun. afternoon here so that should be no problem, right? Because we are of course all Superwomen! icon_wink.gif TTFN

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%