Cake Flour

Decorating By monkeny Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 12:56am by matthewkyrankelly

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 6

Do they sell cake flour at WalMart/Kroger? I have caught myself looking for it at both places and did not see it....Can I somehow make my own cake flour or just subsitute all purpose flour for cake flour? Hope all that made sense! icon_smile.gif TIA

5 replies
Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 6

They do sell cake flour at Walmart...just bought some yesterday! It's in the baking aisle where the flour area is. I don't know about making your own...that would be interesting.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 6

Yep! My Walmart carries it on the top shelf. It's called Soft something or other. But you know, I have just decided I hate all recipes with cake flour in it. If it calls for cake flour, I just put all purpose in instead.

monkeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkeny Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 6

and everything bakes up right, cylstrial? I just didn't know if it would mess the cake up

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 6

You can make your own cake flour by removing 2 Tbsp. of flour and substituting it with cornstarch. I like to so half and half of the cake flour and the all purpose in my recipies so it's a little more stable.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #6 of 6

If I remember correctly, the cake flour brand is Soft As Silk. It comes in a box the size of a cereal box and has a cake on the front. My understanding is that cake flour is made from winter wheat as opposed to summer wheat. Apparently winter wheat is softer and produces a finer grain for a more delicate cake. I had never heard of the cornstarch replacement. Regular flour will always be OK. However, if you have a truly delicate cake or very simple item like a madeline, cake flour might be in order. If you are having trouble with a certain recipe it might be worth trying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%