Another Clueless Cheap Customer

Business By costumeczar Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm by marmalade1687

costumeczar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 11

This one was funny...I got an email from a woman who complimented me up and down on my website and my "obvious talent" and said that she wanted a specific shaped cake for a birthday at work. She went on for a while, then said that if I had a pan that was shaped like the thing she wanted she'd hire me, but since "the occasion doesn't merit a large expenditure" she didn't want a shaped 3-D cake, but only the shaped pan one. icon_lol.gif

I guess she figures that since a Wilton pan has the design molded into it, all you have to do is ice it and it's the shape of the item. icon_confused.gif Oh, now I get it! The shaped pans give you a pre-decorated cake, requiring less work and therefore a lower price! I just thought the logic was funny.

10 replies
SJ169 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 11

lol jesh didnt you know that when you buy a cake pan they come pre-iced! haha some people are soo fricken clueless!

Mabma80 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 11

So what did you say back??

CoutureCake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 11

LOL... "Unfortunately Wilton owns the copyright on those pans, not to mention they take longer than making a 3-D cake to bake/ice/decorate thus I'm unable to make your cake at this time. I can recommend (annoying bakery up the road) who would be happy to make a cake fitting your budget with an edible image on top."

Some people's kids... I'm curious too how you responded...

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 11

Uh yeah...come on, don't leave us hanging Czar!

Marina Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 11

I think those character pans take a lot longer to boss asked me if I would decorate a Super Mario cake that she baked. I told her "sure, how hard can it be?" took forever!!!! It turned out nice, though (in my pic's).

Mabma80 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 11

I've never used one, but it's a good start for someone who has no artistic ability what so ever. It resmebles one of those "color by numbers" things. Like my friend who lives in TN, she made a "Lightening McQueen" for her son's 2nd birthday! It looked awesome! She says it was super easy to do.

costumeczar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #8 of 11

Sorry for not finishing the story...Nothing much to report, really. I emailed back that I just carve all of my cakes from regular shapes so I didn't have the pan she was looking for. I said that it sounded like she wasn't looking for a 3-D cake, and that I didn't even know who I could refer her to since it was such a specific pan. She emailed back and thanked me for trying.

Anticlimactic, I know, but I just liked the idea of a pre-decorated cake popping out of a shaped pan!

sari66 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 11

LOL some ppl are too funny

Mensch Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:54am
post #10 of 11

Like in cartoons.... they put a pan of cake batter in the oven and 12 seconds later open the oven and a completely decorated 3-tiered cake pops out.

marmalade1687 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 11

I also find that when people start out with very sugary compliments, they are sweetening me up for something (sorry, couldn't help the pun! icon_biggrin.gif ). I wait ten seconds, and then comes the..."I'm in a bit of a bind and need a cake for tomorrow...or we forgot to order the wedding cake, and now we need one for next week...could you possibly help?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%