Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 3:02am by marccrand

CandyLady Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 10

I need a great recipe for an office cake on Monday...I have tried a couple here and found ???Indebyi's a little too cocoa taste and thick...want something creamy and easy to spread..thanks for your help.

9 replies
PinkZiab Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 10

I just add melted, cooled chocolate to my standard buttercream, to taste.

marccrand Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 10

I know the recipe I use is in the recipe section, but I'm not sure what it's called.

Here's the doubled recipe I made last night (it doesn't make much)

Beat 1 lb SOFT butter.
Melt 4 oz unsweetened chocolate in the microwave. Add 4 tbl corn syrup and blend.
Add chocolate to butter and beat together.
Beat in 2 lbs powdered sugar.
Add 3-4 tbl milk until spreadable consistency. (It's very humid here, I think I only added 2)

This is the one I always use - very easy but it has a great richness but isn't like eating a dark chocolate bar. If you store in the fridge, be sure to take it out the day before to soften and then slightly whip up before using.

mgwebb68 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 10

I made one from here last weekend called "Crusting Chocolate Fudge Buttercream" I thought it was really good. Nice and smooth. Trying to find one that my DH likes that isn't too sweet (that's his request). But also one that crusts and doesn't melt. This one definitely held up to the humidity here.

Hope this link gets you there:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7293-Crusting-Chocolate-Fudge-Buttercream-Icing.html

CandyLady Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 10

thanks for your ideas...sound yummy...the folks at the office don't hve the same taste I do...but then again, they are you greateast critiques for freebies.

marinewifejones Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 10

I just use the Wilton recipie and I have one lady who requests it and calls it "A party in her mouth" (yes those are her exact words) In fact I just did a cake for her (the fishing cake in my photos)

CandyLady Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 10

to marccrand! A BIG THANK YOU...my office, loved, loved, loved your chocolate frosting recipe...I had to add a bit more than 4 tbls of milk and added a bit Amoretti Kahlua vanilla - it was to die for and the office was coveting the extra cake....yummo...and thanks as I will be using this recipe for my chocolate frosting from now on! Pat

SueB Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 10

marccrand and CandyLady...does that recipe crust? It sounds good but I can't smooth a cake unless it crusts...lol

Peridot Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

Besides crusting - which I also need - is this a nice DARK rich chocolate buttercream?

marccrand Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:02am
post #10 of 10

Candylady - it's not really my recipe, I just got it off here. But I can't find now so I don't remember what it's called. But everyone LOVES it!

Yes, it does crust but I would call it more of a milk chocolate, not really very dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%