Purse Piping?

Decorating By Karema Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:49am by TooMuchCake

Karema Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all I know who I can come to for help and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm making a purse cake and wanted the piping look around the edge of the bag to be black. I was wondering if anyone knew how to get this effect. I want to cover the purse in fondant with black handles as well.

Karema

7 replies
tiggy2 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 8

I would make the piping out of black fondant with a clay gun so it will be uniform in size. For the handles I would use 50/50 fondant/gum paste and make them several days ahead so they will be dry.

TooMuchCake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 8

What Tiggy said. On my website (link below) there is a diaper bag tutorial where I made piping that way.

HTH,
Deanna

Karema Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 8

well I'm guessing that I'm in trouble because I don't have a clay gun. And I don't have the slightest idea how to make that zipper. The cake is due tomorrow so I don't have a lot of days for the handles to dry. Should I just scrap the idea?

kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 8

Can you make the purse lying down? Then the handle can just rest on the board or the purse.
W/o a clay gun you can hand roll ropes of fondant to use as piping - it's just that one most likely won't get it perfectly the same diameter all the long way icon_smile.gif It will take lots of time to get it long and close to one size. If the look of the purse allows you probably should piece the piping OR use b'cream and a tip 3.

Cheyanne25 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 8

TooMuchCake how did you do that zipper? It looks really good.

Karema, I just made my first purse cake today, start to finish (besides baking) in no more than 2 hours. I didn't have anything when I started. Granted it's a very SIMPLE purse cake and I did use a clay gun. But you could do the same thing with an icing bag, a big round tip, and fondant that has a generous amount of shortening worked in. I've used that method myself to make ropes. For the handle I just hand rolled out a long piece of fondant and let it lie down on the top of the cake.

*edited to add that there's a picture of it in my pics.

TooMuchCake Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:49am
post #8 of 8

Thanks, Cheyanne! I made a mold of a jacket zipper using the food-safe molding compounds from makeyourownmolds.com

You could also cut a strip of fondant and score it lightly to represent the teeth of the zipper.

Karema, don't give up on making the purse cake. Lay it down so the handle doesn't need to dry, or make the handle a long strap handle. I've got a pic of a purse cake like that someplace that I can find if you want. Roll the fondant out by hand or else pipe the piping on. It will still look good!

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%