Dusting White Gum Paste Roses

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm by juliebold

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if any of you have some tips to dusting white gum paste roses. I would like to make a bunch up and color as needed. I haven't had much luck though, they always look splotchy to me. Do you recommend any sort of dust, I have used chalk, and luster dust, and it doesn't have the look I am trying to achieve. thanks

4 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 5

I think your problem may be due to the tools you are using rather than the colorant. I bought a good set of paint brushes and a good set of makeup bruses. they need to be fluffy and soft. Then use your colorant very lightly. You can allways add more. knock any loose dust off the brush before you go to the rose. Also I would reccomend getting up close and personal with some real roses and pull them apart so you can see what shades to use and where as well as how heavy to apply the color. HAVE FUN!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 5

Ya, exactly what she ^^^^ saidicon_smile.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 5

Sounds great, I think that is my problem, thanks

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 5

I use a base of extract or vodka with color and let dry and then I dust them. I do this with all my flowers. I make all mine white and color as needed. Even my leaves. This way I can build a stock of flowers and color as I go.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%