How Do You Do A Cake Testing?

Decorating By cdent Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:03pm by cylstrial

cdent Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake testing on Tuesday and I can't figure out what would be the best way to give them a few different flavor options without spending an arm and a leg and making full cakes. So how do you guys do it? Cupcakes? Jumbo Cupcakes? Do you make full cakes, divide them and make different flavored fillings? The filling they want is mostly fruit filling so I would need something large enough to accomodate when I make the Frosting "dam" but small enough so I am not making 6 different cakes just for a tasting. Any suggestions?? Thanks guys!!!

2 replies
beachcakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 3

While I am by no means an expert at this... I do cupcakes. two flavors; whatever I've baked that week. I put a swirl of BC on the top of each one and a few samplings of fillings in small lidded plastic containers. I put them on a wedding design paper plate w/ napkin & matching plastic fork and let them either eat then or take home.

You should check out the Cake Decorating Business forum - there are great examples of tastings! And to paraphrase indydebi, you just want them to sample the quality of your baking; they don't need to taste alot of cake flavors.

cylstrial Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 3

Some people do a couple of cakes, and then a couple of frostings. They will lay them all out on a plate really pretty. And then the bride and groom can mix and match the cake with the frostings. I think doing mini cupcakes would be great and then they can have a few mini cupcakes of each flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%