Is Buttercream Made With Butter And Sugar Safe Unrefrigerate

Decorating By howsweet Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm by howsweet

howsweet Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 5

.... over night without a fondant cover? Actually it's 1 part shortening to 3 parts butter with powdered sugar. That's salted butter btw, the sugar and salt are supposed toi act as preservatives???

What about several days?

4 replies
Larkin121 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not an expert, but yes, it should be safe. Butter, especially salted butter, can be left out of the fridge. Unsalted should be fine as well... many people keep butter at room temperature so that it is easy to spread on their toast, etc.

When I do a powder sugar + butter/crisco icing, I leave it out overnight no problem. I generally stick the leftovers in the fridge after that, but I bet it would be ok for at least another day, too. The high sugar content does help to preserve it as well.

Doug Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 5

it will be fine.....

UNLESS....

the icing bandit shows up! icon_rolleyes.gif

(now I could have sworn I made more icing than that!!! -- Gee, honey, why is your mouth so..(fill in color of icing) ????)

Win Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

it will be fine.....

UNLESS....

the icing bandit shows up! icon_rolleyes.gif

(now I could have sworn I made more icing than that!!! -- Gee, honey, why is your mouth so..(fill in color of icing) ????)

Is the Icing Bandit like the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Claus --you know... in more than one home all over the world on the same night? icon_biggrin.gif

howsweet Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 5

Lol icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks. I left the cake out to settle and then forgot to put in in the frig for the night

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%