Making A Fathers Day Cake With Fondant

Decorating By eeyore911 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm by L_Collins

eeyore911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eeyore911 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a Fathers Day Cake for my father in law for this sunday. This is my first time using fondant. How long in advance would I make the cake? I am using fresh strawberries as the filling. Can I cover the cake with fondant now or wait until the morning of? Also I am adding square and star decorations made of fondant. Can I make these in advance or just make them in the morning and apply them as I make them? If I make it and assemble it early can I store it in the fridge? We are having a birthday party on saturday at my place and I dont want anyone to eat it icon_smile.gif Please any suggestions??????

1 reply
L_Collins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
L_Collins Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 2

I make my cakes a day or 2 in advance. You may want to wait to put the strawberries in until right before you decorate. The fondant can go on whenever you are ready. It serves as a covering and will help keep the cake moist and fresh. Fondant reminds me of an orange peel. You can make the other decorations ahead of time so you don't get overwhelmed. DO NOT store it in the fridge. As your cake comes to room temperature, the fondant will sweat. You'll just have to be sure to tell your family: HANDS OFF!!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%