Flopping Layers Around

Decorating By jardot22 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm by pattycakesnj

jardot22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 13

I feel a little silly asking this question, but I have always had trouble with this part - how do you get the second layer of cake on top of the first and centered without cracking it or smooshing your filling all around (especially the larger layers)? My layers tend to stick a a little to the cardboard, so when I try to slide it on top of the bottom layer over the filling, it doesn't budge easily, and if I push too hard, I run the risk of breaking the cake. I've tried flopping it on like I've seen on Ace of Cakes, but it always ends up off to one side and I have to try to slide it over and end up smearing my filling and dam all over the place. I hope this even makes sense LOL. Thanks for any suggestions!

12 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 13

I use a sturdy piece of cardboard..usually a wilton 19x14 and I do what you have tried before and slide the top layer on..I have never had a problem that way..I have also tried flipping it on too and have had 50% sucess with the not so good result of cracked cake..It is an art I think....I am getting better though....

DianeLM Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 13

If the layer is too big and/or fragile to handle, I pop it in the freezer for 30 minutes or so. Much easier to move around.

diane706 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 13

Are you letting your cakes cool a little in the pan first before flipping them onto your cardboard rounds? If not, this could be why your cakes are sticking to the boards and won't slide off easily when you go to stack them. If you are, another option is to sprinkle some powdered sugar onto the cooled cake (while it's still in the pan) then put the cake board on top and flip it over. That way when you go to put the cake onto the bottom layer it slides right off. HTH! Happy baking! icon_smile.gif

jardot22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 13

Actually, I wrap all my cakes in heavy duty saran wrap right out of the oven and freeze them once they're cooled. I have always let them thaw out though before I start filling and crumbcoating.

indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 13

Use either wax lined boards, or dust the boards with p.sugar, ANDwork with partically frozen layers.

jardot22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 13

Great tips - thanks everyone. Next time I'll just pop the cake in the freezer for 30 before I try moving the layers, and dust the board with ps. You all are terrific icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 13

If you are already freezing your cakes, you don't need to thaw the top layer before you stack it. It will remain fairly rigid and give you the control you need. Plus you'll save time not waiting for it to thaw.

jardot22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 13

I may have to try that matthewkyrankelly - I haven't tried unwrapping my cakes before they thawed out completely yet, because I've always been afraid that condensation would make the cake too mushy. But i might just have to experiment with this suggestion and see how it turns out!

itscake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

If you are already freezing your cakes, you don't need to thaw the top layer before you stack it. It will remain fairly rigid and give you the control you need. Plus you'll save time not waiting for it to thaw.

I purchased very thin plastic cutting boards at a dollar store....and use them to slide between the layers after I cut them...works great!!...have never broken a cake since...and have had no need to freeze cake..

Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 13

I have all kinds of things I use depending on what is clean and within my reach! I use those thin, plastic cutting boards or a cardboard cake board most often. I dust with powdered sugar so the cake slides off easily.

I recently got a superpeel for my bread & pizza making and have found that the thing is awesome for putting the layers exactly where I want them. I accidently put a layer of cake on, then for some reason (can't remember why) I needed to take it off again. I slipped the superpeel under the edge and lifted the whole layer off the buttercream filling without damamging a thing. Fixed whatever the issue was then put it back. This was on a 12x18 sheet cake, btw.

Carlymoon Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 13

I found using a cookie sheet (without edges) or a wilton cake lifter to slide between and seperate layers makes a huge difference. I also freeze my cakes so they are easier to move around.

pattycakesnj Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #13 of 13

I use the wilton cake lifter, it works great and if it is a large cake, I use 2 of them, never a problem

Quote by @%username% on %date%