Sugarshack's Icing And Heat, An Experiment

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm by QueenOfSweets

luelue1971 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 3

I have two outdoor weddings this weekend and was, of course, worried about how the cake would hold up in the heat.

Both weddings are in the evening and the cakes will be in open air buildings. After reading some post regarding what kind of frosting to use for outdoor weddings I decided to veer away from SS icing and try the one that was recommended here.

Its really not a good idea to try something new when you have as much to do as I do this week. I was unable to smooth the icing I used. I'm sure its a wonderful recipe but it just isn't what I'm used to so I decided I was just going to take a chance and go with what I know.

I was still concerned so I decided to conduct an experiment. I made a ball out of cake scraps, iced it and put a large dollop of frosting on top and beside the cake. I then sat the cake out on top of my daughter's slide. This was at 10am.

I checked the cake several time before I left at 1:30 and that frosting was not even softening. I returned home at 5:30 to find the plate and somehow been knocked down the slide. (I suspect my cats) and the top dollop of frosting was missed but the other frosting was still intact and showed no signs of problems.

The high here (inTN) was 91 degrees and that humidity was killer. So YEA I feel very confident for these cakes this weekend.

2 replies
okred Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 3

I love sugarshack's buttercream, great to hear about your "experiment"! This is the recipe for me from now on.

p.s. love your pug cake luelue. my son has a pug. Always thought pugs looked mean, but that is their "I love you" look. Hey we share a birthday!

QueenOfSweets Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 3

luelue, your experiment came at a PERFECT time for me. I am doing a vendor booth at a local fair-like celebration this weekend. I was stressing because I'll be sitting under a canopy from 7 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. It's supposed to be 88 and humid. I use only SugarShack's buttercream, so this eases my mind that my goodies won't turn into melted dripping messes after a couple hours. Thanks for experimenting!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%