Fondant Bow Nightmare

Decorating By amycake Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm by samarinbooboo

amycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amycake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 12

Well I had my first cake nightmare and thank goodness it was for my family, but that still did not make me feel any better. I made her a sweet 16 cake with a fondant bow on top you can see in my photos. Then but morning the bow completely crushed like it melted. I live in RI not that humid yet. Can anyone please help me and tell me why this would happen and if I should use something else in the fondant to make it stay and get rock hard. HELP!!! As I make bows and this never happend to me.

Thanks for hearing me out. I did not take photo after the mess as I only want to remember it nice...LOL

11 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry to hear about collapsed bow. Did you have tissue or something in the loops to support it while it was drying? Also, if you mix fondant and gumpaste it will dry harder or just use all gumpaste (especially if you don't plan on eating it).

I'm sure your daughter loved it all the same and appreciated your thoughtfullness.

Good Luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 12

You can mix some tylose or gum-tex powder into your fondant to help it dry harder.

I had exactly the same problem with a bow recently and I'm not sure if it's because I rolled the fondant too thin or if it was because it was black and sometimes black fondant gets weird. I had put tylose into it too. My bow broke before it needed to go anywhere, and I just made a simple two loop bow instead.

amycake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you for your help with this. Maybe I will just try to do all gumpaste next time. I hope this does not happen again icon_sad.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 12

The cake in my avatar was supposed to have a bow. It never even made it onto the cake. icon_redface.gif

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 12

I always mix some gumpaste with my fondant to do bows and such, just to ensure that it does hold up. Good luck with your next bow!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 12

Just like everyone else said. I like to dry mine overnight on a broom handle hanging between chairs. Plus, I roll mine really thin. The thicker, the longer the drying period. My biggest success is with a 50/50 though. They break a lot less than doing all gumpaste or all fondant.

amycake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #8 of 12

I am almost afraid to do another bow for fear that it will be a horror show again. I am so glad it was family. Otherwise I don't know how understanding they would have been. I am going to have to practice bows just for the heck of it.

Mrsnoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrsnoodle Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 12

Did you dry each of the loops on their side before you attached them? Maybe you didn't leave them for long enough!

amycake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 12

I did dry the bows. I made the loops on Monday. Then assembled on Thursday. This has never happened to me and in my photos you can see I have made several before. Just don't understand really what went wrong. Puzzle to me.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 12

If I run out of gumpaste, I have mixed 1 tsp. Tylose to 1 lb of fondant. It has always dried and hardened for me.

-Debbie B.

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 12

where do you get the tyloose from?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%