Concerned And Need Information About Display Cake On Mirror

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm by Brendabeeper

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

I am looking to having a cake displayed on a mirror for the effect.
The cake I am looking at is a two tiered cake. How do I know what type of mirror to use? Where do I get the Mirrors? how safe is this? Has anyone had any problems with this? I know to put a cake board under the cake so it doesnt sit directly on the mirror. Any information will help
thanks

4 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:23am
post #2 of 5

Mirrors are made from glass. We drink from drinking glasses made of glass and we cut food on glass cutting boards. I think you are pretty safe with a mirror and you can get one at Micheal's. Those mirrors are not tempered so if it breaks it will be just as messy as if a drinking glass breaks. Be careful of the sharp edges when carrying the cake. If you want a thicker look you could cut some foamcore the same size and hot glue the mirror on to that and add a nice ribbon around that.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:24am
post #3 of 5

i sometimes display my cakes on mirrors. i don,t build my cake on the mirror.. i build it on cake drums,etc. my bil.. owns a glass co. he gave me all i need.. of different sizes.. so i lay down my mirror.. put a piece of non skid material down. sat my cake.. then put garland of ivy, or garland of roses,etc. around mirror .. pretty setting.. i don,t have any in my photos. but i love to set up this way.hth.. just go to a glass company and they cut you the size you need. you wlll always have it. like i said, i have all different sizes. i need for him to cut me some square ones. ha!

Brendabeeper Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you for all your help I can't wait to try the mirror

Brendabeeper Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 5

Ok so I went to Menards, Picked up a Thick Beveled square mirror on sale $18.99 it is 6 mm thick ( they ranged from 2mm to 6mm)

Anyone know aprox weight this would hold, I am aiming to put a 12 in round bottom cake with a 8 in on top of that and a 4 in on top of that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%