Quick......help!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By kcepenney Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 4:51am by patticakesnc

kcepenney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcepenney Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:00am
post #1 of 8

I have a cake due tomorrow....so far it has been a total nightmare!!!

Can I paint fondant with just food coloring to get the dark color I want? Should I paint it with vodka? or water? Will it dry? Will it work??? I just can't get it dark enough by kneading the color into the fondant.

Any advice would be great!!!!

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 8

Yes, you can paint it with gel color mixed with vodka. It will dry as long as it's not straight gel color (that takes about a week to dry). Painting the fondant is a really good way to get a deep, vibrant color.

kcepenney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcepenney Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 8

What about with the food paste coloring? Can i do it that way too? I don't have the gel in the color I need.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 8

Last night I made red roses from fondant and I kid you not, I used almost the whole jar of red food coloring gel. You need a lot to get it dark.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:30am
post #5 of 8

I always call the Wilton jar colors gel, but maybe it's paste instead? Thin it with vodka and as long as the color dissolves smoothly into the vodka it should be fine to use.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #6 of 8

Let me give you a hint that the lady who owns my local cake shop told me. I have had a really hard time getting reds and such in fondant, buttercream and RI without just loading it with red. I used a whole container in RI and it still wasn't red. Anyway she told me to use the powdered coloring when I make it. I used it in my red buttercream and it worked perfectly. If you see my Elmo cake in my pics that is what I used and it didn't have a bad taste either.

I know it is probably too late for that for you now, but just a little food...errr...cake for thought.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:36am
post #7 of 8

where do you get the powdered color? do they have neon colors in powder?

i have been thinking powder would prolly work better tinting my white chocolate projects...you know how much chocolate loves to seize up!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #8 of 8

I get mine from her shop. You can order it from s u g a r c r a f t . com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%