What Can I Do Differently? Advice Please!

Decorating By sarahbisher Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 3:50am by TexasSugar

sarahbisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahbisher Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:57am
post #1 of 5

About a year ago, I made cupcakes for a friends shower. I topped each cupcake with a monogrammed fondant disc and they looked beautiful. I left them out (in boxes) overnight and when I woke up the next morning, the discs had 'melted' into the buttercream.

My question is this...should I have refridgerated them? I have to make cupcakes topped with a fondant shaped teacup for a bday party this weekend and I'm nervous to assemble them. Should I wait until the last minute or can I make them the night before and stick them in the fridge. I'm also nervous because the fondant teacups are larger than the cupcakes and I'm placing them flat on top of the buttercream.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

4 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 5

Did you use a crusting buttercream? I have put fondant accents on buttercream that has crusted, and have never had a problem. I would think that the fridge would help.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 5

I read a post where fondant melted into IMBC or SMBC. Not sure why but I use a crusting Buttercream and nothing has ever melted on me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:04am
post #4 of 5

I put fondant flowers on buttercream (Indydebi's recipe) with no problems at all.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:50am
post #5 of 5

The only time I have had fondant melt on buttercream was when it was closed up in a container. It shouldn't have done so in a cake box since there is more air around it than a cake carrier or air tight container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%