Ugh.. So Mad! Just Tried The Doctored Cake Mix And It Is No

Baking By mommy2kids Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm by JanH

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #1 of 10

Doctored cake mix did not work for me (carrot cake) I hate trying recipes that don't work. I had a great recipe from someone, but my friend doesnt want anything except carrots.. no raisins coconut, pineapple, nuts, etc.. just carrots... the cake did not rise, is wet as water and is brown crusted on the outside!!!!! Please I need a carrot cake recipe tonight! Or I will be making straight out of the box as a last resort... thanks for your help.

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 10

Carrot cake never rises as much as regular cake. I think if I were you, considering that your friend wants you to leave all the good stuff out, I'd make it from a regular box mix and then add some fresh carrots grated very fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 10

Isn't that kinda like ordering a banana split with no chocolate sauce, no pineapple topping, no strawberry topping, no nuts, no whipped cream, no cherry? Just a banana and some ice cream?

And the point would be .......? icon_confused.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:41am
post #4 of 10

jkalman's carrot butter cake is awesome and sounds just like what your friend requested:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6073-Carrot-Cake-Straight-Up.html

HTH

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you thank you thank you, JanH and Jkalman! The carrot cake is done, and its just perfect. I took a fork and took a little out of the center to make sure it was done and tasted good, and it was delicious! Do you know if this cake dries out or not? I usually use cakesdivine method, but I dont know if the cake needs it.. let me know please if you get a sec. Thanks

Gefion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gefion Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Isn't that kinda like ordering a banana split with no chocolate sauce, no pineapple topping, no strawberry topping, no nuts, no whipped cream, no cherry? Just a banana and some ice cream?

And the point would be .......? icon_confused.gif

Obviously the point would be that she likes it this way icon_wink.gif
That carrot butter cake sounds good! I have to try it out.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 10

If at the last minute you are desperate there is a new deluxe carrot cake mix in grocery stores now, just leave out the other stuff and add in some extra fine grated carrots.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 10

Try my recipe for my Grandma Alta's carrot cake. It is really delicious and just what you're looking for. I just hope it's not too late for you! Good luck! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7307-0-Grandma-Altas-Carrot-Cake.html

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 10

This is in the Cake Central recipe section. It's called Carrot Cake Straight Up by jkalman

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6073-16-Carrot-Cake-Straight-Up.html

Just carrots

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kids

Thank you thank you thank you, JanH and Jkalman! The carrot cake is done, and its just perfect. I took a fork and took a little out of the center to make sure it was done and tasted good, and it was delicious! Do you know if this cake dries out or not? I usually use cakesdivine method, but I dont know if the cake needs it.. let me know please if you get a sec. Thanks

Glad it worked out for you. thumbs_up.gif

I found the cake to be quite moist so I wouldn't steam it (using cakesdivine method).

My carrot cake required refrigeration because of the recipe I used for cream cheese icing... and it was even great cold, straight from the 'fridge. (And I usually don't like cold cake.)

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%