Wilton Large Leveler

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm by sjmoral

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 14

I had read all of the bad reviews of the Wilton Large Leveler and steered clear of it...but yesterday I bought one and it works very well. I even decided to torte the 9x13 I was making so that I could keep trying it out.

I think the secret to using it is to think of it as a bread knife and use it with a sawing motion.

13 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 14

The problem that I have with mine, is that the blade is so flimsy and move-able. If I'm torting a very dense cake, the blade seems to warp inside and make it uneven. I have tried everything. I hate it. icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 14

The cake I used it on last night was very dense...red velvet with sour cream and chocolate pudding. I leveled it about 5 hours after I had baked it, so it had already firmed up a lot. I did keep one hand on top of the cake and used the other to move the leveler back and forth, same as I've always done with the small leveler.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 14

Lol maybe mine is defective!! I should buy a new one and see what happens. And the description of your cake has now made me very hungry...icon_smile.gif

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:47am
post #5 of 14

I couldn't get mine to work well either and I just can't afford an Agbay seeing as I'm a hobby baker. My husband took the blade off and redid it with a wire so I can use it just like the smaller one. Works for me and now I can at least get a level cake!

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:57am
post #6 of 14

That's a really good idea. If the blade in mine turns wimpy, I'll rig it with some wire icon_biggrin.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:02am
post #7 of 14

I have that one and I hold the frame from the sides firmly(as if streching it) and pushing it down on the counter- I do a saw like motion and it breezes right through with no problems. So pull apart and push down and saw through... yeah thats it.

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:07am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I think the secret to using it is to think of it as a bread knife and use it with a sawing motion

[[/list]

Texas rose, that si so funny. My best friend bought me one for my birthday last year and after a few tries I was so frustrated I put it in the garage and forgot about it. Six months later my husband found it and decided to "show me hosw ot use it correctly".
He said "You need to think of it as a bread knife and use it in a sawing motion."
After rolling my eyes, I tried it and by golly it works like a charm! I use it all the time now.

Try using the whole blade to slice throught the cake, making sure you arn't pushing or forcing it through.

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #9 of 14

I've never had a problem with mine. I took it to a topsy turvey cake class and there were 3 or four others there that had it and none of us had trouble. Every one who didn't have one borrowed one.

I even use my smaller one with a sawing motion. It makes sense if you tried just to shove the thing through the cake it would destroy the cake.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:09pm
post #10 of 14

Mine always cuts perfectly but uneven. Just like trying to write in a perfec t line with no lines on the paper... But I'll try it again and see if holding it in from the sides works but my cake is going to move icon_redface.gif
I'll keep trying now that I see it works for some people...

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 14

Texas Rose - I think you have it right. I read the bad reviews as well, but I have one and it works great! You can't just pull it through the cake, you have to use a sawing motion, and it works best if you let the cake cool.

I let my cakes cool, leave them on the cooling rack but set to one end or side. I pull the rack to the edge of the counter and into me. Then I start leveling (this keeps the rack from sliding around and gives me something to pull against - me, but still keeps the cake at a good working distance). I hold both ends of the leveler and saw back and forth, keeping the feet of the leveler planted firmly on the counter. Works like a charm every time.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:02pm
post #12 of 14

Cold cake is firm and will stand up to the sawing. You want to really saw back and forth while going forward a little at a time. And I place my cake on cling wrap on the counter which keeps it from sliding around. LOL you don't want to be chasing a cake around.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 14

I havent used mine much, I just got it but I see what you are saying about it being uneven. My little one with the wire does that too. I cant stand it. The big one seems to work better for me, I dont have a huge enough problem with it to keep me from using it.

sjmoral Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjmoral Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 14

I think I should leave my cakes cool more before trying again... I love cake central, you learn so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%