Need Help Quick!

Decorating By sister340 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm by sister340

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 6

Making a 3 tiered, square wedding cake. Two layers each tier. One of the bottom layers cracked, bad. I think I moved it when it was too hot. Since this will be the cake base, I don't think I should try to salvage it, should I? then I think, well, it will be covered in fondant.
What do you think? I have plenty of time.
j.

5 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 6

If you can repair it, do so. The other tiers won't be resting on it anyway...they'll be resting on the supports, right?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 6

If it's just one of the two layers, then push it back together as tightly as you can and top it with the other layer. Should be fine.

It's not unlike making a huge tier that's comprised of several smaller cakes pushed together.

Good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, what they ^^^^ said. It certainly can be saved if it will go back together (not all crumbs but big chunks that can be pushed together w/icing as glue).

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 6

My 4 tier square cake had a huge tear in the bottom tier, but it came out just fine! Just make sure the supports are stable!

sister340 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sister340 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, so I'll try that. It is still cooling and I can't really Squish it together yet. Hope its okay to do when it is cooled and I put it on the cake board and fill.

So you think the cracked one should be the bottom layer. And right, the supports will hold it. I need to go back and read how many dowels for a 13" square holding up a 9" then 5.

So much to learn.

j.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%