In Desperate Need Of Advise. Please!!

Business By Annso Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm by Annso

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 9

Hey Guys, I am so happy that I found cake central. I am a young woman living on the island of Antigua and I have a strong Passion to become a professional cake decorator. I have already taken a few steps in making my dream a reality. I have almost completed my intermediate course in cake decorating, and bought a few books to help me out, and watched a few videos on youtube. How ever i have recognised that there are alot of professionals on this site. So I am eager to know what are the tricks of the trade. What do I need to know before getting into this buisness? What other steps do I need to take. Please I need some advise. I'm 24yrs Old and I mean buisness. I will do what ever it take to accomplish my dream.If God Permits.

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 9

Basically, hang out in here for awhile, read the threads, check the topics that are always at the top of each section, called "Stickys", they have a LOT of information! That's the best I can tell ya. Short of describing how I do each and every little thing....there's a lot! I learned 80% of what I know from this site right here. I buy a DVD or a book every once in awhile, but it's mostly hands on trial and error, and a LOT of research in these forums.

And welcome, by the way!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 9

much of making this into a legit biz is finding out the legalities in your area.

other than that read read read, and find out what works for you, this site has a wealth of info.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 9

Practice practice practice. I agree that you can learn everything you need to know on here. In the beginning I spent hours researching questions I had. I think the best way to start your biz is word of mouth. So start with great cakes decorated cute and news will spread. In the mean time check into your local laws and lease prices equip etc. Do it one baby step at a time all the while making your cakes more and more remarkable. All dreams come true Don't give up Just cease every oppurtunity that comes your way related to your goal. Best of wishes

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 9

We are very happy to have you find usicon_smile.gif

As littlecake said find out what the laws are in your area. Here in the US it can vary from city to city. Some places will let a person sell cakes that are made in their home kitchen......others say "NO way!".

Then read, read, read what is posted on here. There is soooooooo much information you will be kept busy just reading it all for a long, long time to come.
Then practice, practice, practice. If at 1st you don't succeed, try, try and try again.
Yes, there will be many times one person will say *This* is what works and another will post right after that and say don't ever do *this* (meaning what the 1st person said). Don't get confused just try both days (and more) until you find what does work for you. Being that you will have different brands of ingredients etc you are going to have to experiment with some of the recipes until you are happy with the results.
Everyone's tastes are different. What one person finds to taste *the best!* may not be something you like. Don't knock the recipe or method, just find what does work good for you.
Oh, take pictures of your work - whether you like it or not. This will help you see where the mistake(s) are and how your work is improving.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 9

Congrats on knowing what you want so early in your life.

My advise is .................listen to Indydebi.
That woman has been taking care of business and knows her stuff. She 's been around the block and seen it all. If you get stuck, seek her out for input. Not only will she tell it like it is, but she's make you laugh in the process. icon_biggrin.gif

Long time member of the Indy fan club:
mommachris

ButtercupMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercupMama Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 9

I am a strong believer in taking pictures of all your work, and keeping a portfolio! I hired a woman who had only done cakes at home for family, but she had photos to show me, and the photos showed a lot of promise.

Your natural artistic talent can take you a long way if you take the time to develop it!

Also, half of what I know I learned from working in the business, the other half I learned via the internet.

Practice, practice, practice!!!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #8 of 9

And, as a nonpro cake decorator (I am a nurse), I always know I can post a question, no matter how silly I think it might be, and I will have answers/suggestions.

Annso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annso Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you sooooo much guys! I really appreciate the advise and support. I have been taking a few photo's of the cakes that have already done and i even posted a few on CC. They're not as perfect as the ones that you guys post on here but I think i have the basics down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%