Fibromyalgia

Lounge By havingfun Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 1:41am by havingfun

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 21

I have just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I need any advice anyone has for the pain management. I had to stop Celebrex due to stomach pain. Started Cymbalta last night and I have been soooo nauseated. Just not a happy day..

20 replies
creative101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creative101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 21

hi.. my mom was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 2 years ago and she has tried everything most made her sick some made her high etc. her doctor put her on a phentermine patch along with pain pills when the pain got too bad and she hasnt had any problems since. just something you might want to think aboout asking your doctor about hope it gets better for you. good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 21

One of my employees just got diagnosed with the same thing and her doctor has started her on prednizone (spelling?). It's helped her a lot.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 21

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a year and a half ago. My doctor wanted to put me on Lyrica, but after reading all the side effects I decided to try other things first.

I started taking a supplement called 5-HTP (at WalMart, Walgreens...) because I had read that people who suffer from it have really good results taking this.

I started exercising as well even though at first it was a bit of a struggle. I also suffered from back and neck issues for years and decided to try a chiropractor after many visits to other doctors for my back.

After about 6 weeks I started to feel better. Shooting pains in my fingers and toes went away, I had fewer muscle spasms and other aches and pains.

I honestly feel like a different person. I still know my boundaries and limits and try to be careful about my choices, but this was a better route for me verses being put on meds forever.

I wish you the best of luck! PM me if you have any questions.

Mo

havingfun Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 21

Thank you all for the replies! I did not receive notification that anyone had replied, so I apologize for my lack of response. I did stop the Cymbalta because with the second pill, I was so dizzy along with the nausea, life was unbearable. It took me 2 days to get over that. I tried the Celebrex again, and had a severe headache this time. Mo, I will check out that supplement, as well as all the other meds you all have mentioned. I have made an appt with an acupuncturist for next Wednesday. I just am having such a terrible time with the side effects of drugs. I also have 6 discs in my back out of alignment and osteoarthritis in my lower back. I have lived with that for so long, I really don't mind it. You really get used to the pain, and as you said Mo, you learn your boundaries. I currently am doing 20 minutes on the ellipitical. (with both knees braced)LOL!! It can be quite amusing when you start putting all your braces on. Well, thanks again to all who responded. It really helps to know how others cope. I just cannot imagine living 40 more years like this.....

2SimplySweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SimplySweet Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:53am
post #6 of 21

I too have Fibromyalgia dx in 95. I have went through alot to figure out how to have some kind of quality life. My suggestion is not to take anything that could become addicting or habit forming. Exercise and keep all the unnecessary stress to a minimal. Don't stress on the little things and know where your boundries are and stop when your body talks. You and your family will mourn for who you used to be but you come to understand that you are different and you have to learn to love how you are now. Use alternative medical methods as much as you can. Eat right (Sweets are not good for us) and neither is processed foods. Learn everything you can and educate your loved ones. Best Health Wishes!!

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 21

2SimplySweet, thanks for the best wishes and the encouragement. Going to try all the things everyone has mentioned and keep on caking. Life is what you make it, and I certainly want to make mine good.

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #8 of 21

2SimplySweet, thanks for the best wishes and the encouragement. Going to try all the things everyone has mentioned and keep on caking. Life is what you make it, and I certainly want to make mine good.

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #9 of 21

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:02am
post #10 of 21

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:03am
post #11 of 21

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #12 of 21

Hi,

Please read up on the 5-HTP and speak to your physician before you start taking it.

I decided to learn more about it so I could tell my friend who has fibro-myalgia and boy there are a lot of negatives to this supplement. You really need to be careful to not get too much of this into your system.

Please research it first OK.

Good luck and feel better~

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:14am
post #13 of 21

Hi,

Please read up on the 5-HTP and speak to your physician before you start taking it.

I decided to learn more about it so I could tell my friend who has fibro-myalgia and boy there are a lot of negatives to this supplement. You really need to be careful to not get too much of this into your system.

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:15am
post #14 of 21

Hi,

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:16am
post #15 of 21

Hi,

Deb_ Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:17am
post #16 of 21

Hi,

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:37am
post #17 of 21

Deb, I did some research, and you are right! Supplements can have side effects also. I have learned if it says anything remotely about "intestinal" side effects, I am going to get them! LOL!! This has really been a long five years for me. I went for several years waiting on them to tell me I had MS. Having a name for your condition seems to validate it to all the people who don't really understand why you are like you are. OR they seem to not believe you when you try to tell them how you are feeling. Thank you for posting. Crazy night with all the posts going in over and over and over....

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:38am
post #18 of 21

Deb, I did some research, and you are right! Supplements can have side effects also. I have learned if it says anything remotely about "intestinal" side effects, I am going to get them! LOL!! This has really been a long five years for me. I went for several years waiting on them to tell me I had MS. Having a name for your condition seems to validate it to all the people who don't really understand why you are like you are. OR they seem to not believe you when you try to tell them how you are feeling. Thank you for posting. Crazy night with all the posts going in over and over and over....

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:39am
post #19 of 21

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:40am
post #20 of 21

havingfun Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 1:41am
post #21 of 21

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%