Fbct...why Can I Not Get It???

Decorating By RaquelR Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm by motherofgrace

RaquelR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelR Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 13

I need help!!! I just did one on monday for my husband on monday and it was HORRIFIC! I was mortified with my end result!

I used the wilton (no butter) white butter cream and I watered it down a little with milk.

I used a #1 and #2 circle tip for the outline on waxed paper. I froze it for about 20 min.. and filled each section using a #2 or #3 tip freezing after each section. when completed, let freeze for about 2 hours or so. When I put it on the cake... only parts of the transfer came out... the colors were running into each other... and it was just like taking melted candy off a wrapper!!

My husband still loved b/c you could see what t was supposed to be.. but i was mortified and upset!!

What did I do wrong?? I have watched and read so many tutorials.. i dont kow what else to do!! my sons b-day is next month and this was my planned method for his cake.. but now I am not so sure.... any help is soooo welcome!!!

~RAQUEL

12 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 13

It didn't come out because you used a no butter recipe. You have to use a buttercream recipe that is all or mostly butter. I tried it with the shortening buttercream just to see what would happen, and it all crumbled and stuck to the waxed paper.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-1-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

I have used this one and it came out really well. I would say your technique sounds really well. I make mine and I didn't freeze between each color, but I don't see how that would hurt. Good luck!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 13

Wow,good to know.I usally make my own buttercream but I thought that I would try Sam's butterctream.I did a cake yesterday trying to do a transfer but did not work & didn't understand why.I've done it before with homemade buttercream(w/butter) & it always worked.Now I know that it needs butter.Thanks for the info.

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 13

Sorry for your frustration! I do FBCT all the time, and I do not use any butter in my buttercream. I have to let mine freeze overnight or at least 5 or so hours before I put it on the cake. Comes off just fine after that! Hope that helps!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 13

I always use Sam's buttercream and I haven't had any trouble with my FBCT. I usually will add a little piping gel to whatever color I am using for the outline, but other than that I don't make any other changes to the buttercream. If the colors are running together maybe your buttercream is too thin. I also do not freeze between steps. Sometimes I may let the outline sit for a few minutes to crust, but usually I don't even do that.

millionairess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millionairess Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 13

That happened to me once as well even though i used butter in my butter cream. I noticed that if the consistency is not stiff enough , it tends to not come off the plastic. However i do let it freeze overnight if possible. HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:59am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommy3

You have to use a buttercream recipe that is all or mostly butter.

Not true. The only BC I've ever used is all crisco.

I have better luck with parchment. It releases much better than it does on wax. I also let mine freeze overnight or 12+ hours.

Did you put a backing on the image? This helps tie the image together (although I have done one without a backing, but I had to work really carefully.)

bfranzen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfranzen Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:31am
post #8 of 13

I just did a FBCT this afternoon (my second one!) and I used plastic wrap instead of wax paper, on the advice of several threads that I read. I used a half butter/half shortening recipe and I only froze for about 45 minutes and it was fine--the wrap peeled right off! I'm sorry yours didn't turn out--I was a nervous wreck about mine turning out since it was a cake for a new customer!

Becky

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:08am
post #9 of 13

I too have wondered what I do wrong. i cant get one to work for anything. have used saran wrap, wax paper and parchment.

I use a 3 stick butter/ 1 cup crisco BC and it breaks, it literly breaks to peices. OR it doesnt come off at all. sometimes BOTH.

I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have frozen and not frozen, I have greased the paper with crisco, and not, I have put a backing on it, and not.

My goal is now just to get a semi decent outline of the transfer and fill it in by hand. Thats all I can fiqure out to do. Both my beer can and the my little pony cake were transfers gone wrong that I got maybe 1/8 of the transfer on and did the rest freehand.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:32am
post #10 of 13

I've never done a fbct. I fell in love with the pin prick method and have yet to have an instance where I wanted to try a FBCT over it. But then again, most of mine haven't been too detailed. The don, dodger and cabrini cake in my pictures were done with the pin prick method.

JMO

Judi

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 13

A too use all shortening recipe and never have problems. I don't freeze between steps, that may be part of the problem. Freeze for at least 12 hours works best. I also put them on a flexible report cover, bought at a office supply store. Wash it first, put picture in sleeve and work away, comes off very easy. Don't give up, you'll figure out what works for you.

RaquelR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaquelR Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you all so much for your advice and words!!

So freezing is not neccessary in between colors??? I will try this next time. I have another coming up for my moms bday in July.

What is a backing???

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 13

this is the one i use, ive only dont it twice, but its worked great both times

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

GOOD LUCK!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%