Refrig. Fondant Cake, How Much Time Out Of Fridge At Party?

Decorating By Larkin121 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm by kakeladi

Larkin121 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake this weekend that will be filled with lemon curd, a raspberry cheesecake mousse and iced with SMBC before being covered in fondant. The fillings mean I have to refrigerate it overnight. How long before the party should I take the cake out of the fridge so that it can go through all it's condensation stuff and look good for the party, but still be safe to eat when it's cake time?

I think i read it takes about 2 hours for the cake to finish the condensation process... but don't we have only 2 hours to eat it because of the perishable fillings? There will not be room at my friend's house to put it in the fridge once we get there.

There must be a bigger safety window, right, 'cause I know some of you use perishable fillings for fondant covered wedding cakes, and those aren't served right away after delivery.... or are you using the fridge on location?

Appreciate any help! Thanks so much!

2 replies
poohsmomma Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 3

Don't have a clue, but here's a bump

kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 3

.........read it takes about 2 hours for the cake to finish the condensation process... but don't we have only 2 hours to eat it because of the perishable fillings? .......

Most perishables are safe up to 4 hours - but that includes the time you worked on the cake. I do believe one would be perfectly safe leaving it out up to 4 hours as it will take at least one of those hrs to come to room tempicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%