Craig's List

Lounge By sunlover00 Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 7:31am by ceshell

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 18

I just sold my first item on Craig's List. It was a nice sofa. They wrote me a check and loaded it up and took off. I have a weird feeling....what if the check is no good?? Any advice or am I just being paranoid?? Shoudl I post "cash only"?

17 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 18

Why would you accept a check from a stranger? You better go to their bank to cash it and don't deposit it into your account. But I have a feeling they took the couch and you are going to be stuck without any money for it. How do you know the check was really theirs? They could have found them or stole them. Did you check their ID? Good luck!

sunlover00 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 18

Well, she emailed me and the name and phone number are the same as on the check. Was I stupid?? OMG. Now I'm really worried. Do CL people only deal in cash?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 18

I've always taken cash only for the things that I've sold, and I only pay cash for the things that I buy from Craigslist.

There are still some honest people out there who pay with checks (my mom is one, even though I keep telling her how easy it is for someone to steal your identity when you give them a check).

I do agree with Karema though, cash it at their bank and not at yours...that way if anything happens with it you don't end up with a return check charge on your account.

sunlover00 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 18

Yeah, I was stupid. Get this.....the lady just called me. She wanted to thank me for the couch and told me how much she loves how it looks in her living room! If she is a con...she is good.

Caller ID says the same # as the email and the check. Maybe I'm just being paranoid....tomorrow I will take it to her bank and cash it right away! Cross your fingers for me!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 18

I am patiently awaiting the day when all personal checks are done away with for good and for all. I can't remember the last time I saw someone over the age of 65 writing one. (Yes, snarky, but it makes ME laugh) I guess it will be a few more years. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I am patiently awaiting the day when all personal checks are done away with for good and for all. I can't remember the last time I saw someone over the age of 65 writing one. (Yes, snarky, but it makes ME laugh) I guess it will be a few more years. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

The only thing I ever wrote checks for was my rent. One time the rent check was stolen from the landlord's night drop and the person who stole it used the info from it to print more checks, got my husband's DL# and fabricated a DL and wrote checks everywhere. The landlord didn't tell us the check was stolen for almost a month...we actually found out because our bank accounts were emptied (DH has direct deposit so that went too). We spent the next six months trying to get our money back, faxing forgery affadavits to detectives, trying to prove that warrants issued for DH were a result of ID theft, and other miserable things. My husband was so worried that he slept with his binder with the affadavits and police reports under his pillow. Every time I see someone writing a check, I want to tell them how they could be ruining their life. Not trying to hijack the thread though icon_biggrin.gif

Sunlover00...I can't imagine someone writing a hot check and then calling to thank you. It seems like if they were conning you they'd give you as little info as possible. So relax...you'll have to wait for the bank to open tomorrow before you can really calm down about the check, but try not to worry so much.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 18

Most people are honest. Try not to worry too much.

Hope everything turns out well... icon_smile.gif

sunlover00 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:42am
post #9 of 18

Well, the check cleared! whew! Lesson learned though.... thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #10 of 18

Glad to hear it cleared ok. I've bought things off of CL and I would never even assume the seller would take a check from me .... I always pulled cash from my account before going over to pick it up.

Karema Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 18

I am so happy for you! Thank God she was an honest person.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #12 of 18

Glad it worked out okay for you, Sunlover. My dh and I sold my son's crib/changing table ,and vthrew in the pad and mattress just for the heck of it-AND-hubby delivered it to them! It was over $600 worth of furniture that we sold for $60, just to be rid of it.

It's strange to interact with people without seeing them at first. I am glad it worked out for you!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 4:30am
post #13 of 18

I'm glad the check cleared but as others have said, deal only with cash on craigslist. I just bought a set of beautiful, large French bowls on CL for $20. I'm a CL junkie but buying or selling it's all cash and public places if I can help it. icon_smile.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 18

glad the check cleared, and since we are selling our experiences...
Last week I bought a beautiful dresser w/mirror and a chest of drawers for $30!! i was so excited to get such a great bargain and the furniture looks great in my daughters room!

Karema Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 11:06pm
post #15 of 18

I love the free section on there also. Last week I got a queen size air mattress with pump. Absolutely free! I was so happy.

Karema

sunlover00 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #16 of 18

Well, I surely learned my lesson. I've posted a few other things now, and now I'm finding that lots of people question if I still have it, but never follow up and email me back! grr

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #17 of 18

Has anyone ever used Freecycle? Type in the name of your town w/freecycle added and it should come up. Everything *must* be free........give or take.
I just gave away a bag of clothes.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:31am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover00

Well, I surely learned my lesson. I've posted a few other things now, and now I'm finding that lots of people question if I still have it, but never follow up and email me back! grr

That is driving me nuts too! I mean, why ask if I still have it and I say yes and give em my phone #, why not just email and say "I've changed my mind, thanks anyway."? icon_confused.gif Not like I think people owe me an explanation but it's just weird that they take the time to communicate with you and then just disappear. I get all excited "Yeah, I have a potential buyer!!" And then *crickets chirp*. I guess they are all just window shopping.

Anyway my CL story is that just last month I sold about 90% of my baby gear and toys and I got great prices for them too! I sold everything for roughly 1/2 off, since most of it was in pristine condition and I live in a large metropolitan area where people will pay fair used prices since ANYTHING is better than full price. I was warned that you can't get jack-doodle at garage sales since everyone at a GS wants rock bottom prices, so that's why I used CL. I made over $1K!!! icon_eek.gifparty.gif I wanted to treat myself to celebrate but it's all going to pay the bills thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%