Help Needed..i've Tried Three Methods And Failed..grad Cake

Decorating By samiam22 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm by brincess_b

samiam22 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 9

I hope someone can help me...I have a cake to feed 100 people due for Monday. It is to be a Grad cake red carpet themed . I am making the sheet cakes today,that's fine,red carpet from fondant fine,hopefully smooth buttercream, but I cannot for the life of me get an Oscar statuette molded out of anything!!!! I have tried modeling chocolate,but it just gets tooo soft and that little guy melts,then I tried fondant,he is too wobbly too mold,then I added a whole lot of gumpaste and I still could not get it to work!!!! grrrr. I don't have time to try and order an Oscar mold, any ideas anyone??

8 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 9

Does it absolutely have to be 3D? Because you could use color flow to do it. It would stand up, but it would be flat. You would just have to find a picture of one to copy. You could paint it with gold luster dust after it dried, and that would look really cool.

samiam22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 9

I hadn't thought of colour flow...I will try that today!! Great idea. I have to make Royal icing anyhow for attaching things. Thanks again.

laneysmom Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 9

How about rice krispie treats covered with fondant?

Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

I believe I have seen a small candy mold in the shape of an Oscar but I can't remember where and it would take to long to get to you anyway!!

samiam22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 9

Yes it is too late for the Oscar mold...icon_sad.gif..that would be the easiest.
Laneysmom..are rice krispie treats easy to mold that small? I have not tried them yet but I have to make some for another cake I need this weekend.

laneysmom Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 9

Well, I've never done anything really small with them, but I know they're really easy to hand mold and then trim with a sharp paring knife. I also like using them because they are so light. When you make a form out of solid fondant there's always the chance it will lose its shape under the force of its own weight.

The little clovers on my horton cake were made of RKT; they're the smallest things I've made with them.

samiam22 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 9

I shall try both methods today and see which holds up for the cake!

brincess_b Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 9

you could dry straight gumpaste, dries fast and solid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%