Marshmallow Vs Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By Queenie4574 Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 1:06am by sugarlover

Queenie4574 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenie4574 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 11

Okay..I am making a fondant cake and hae used satin ice fondant before. I think MMF looks much more affordable. After looking at countless pics...is it me or does MMF look shiny? I don't think I would like to try if it is. Also it seems like it would be terribly sweet. Suggestions or comments?

10 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 11

I prefer Michele Fosters Fondant. Easier to work with and tastes not nearly as sweet as MMF, also a heck of a lot easier to make too.

Queenie4574 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks for the advice. I will try it out! icon_smile.gif

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 11

I also prefer Michele Fosters. It tastes soo good. I tried making MMF and it was like biting into stale marshmallows, just too sweet. Plus in my opinion, it was a pain to work with. Michele's has a great texture, similar to wilton's.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 11

MM..I made the minnie princess cake with both. I have to say, I was not thrilled with the Satin Ice. It was far less forgiving then the MMF, and sooooo much more expensive. It ripped and it looked worse then my MMF does. icon_mad.gif The only reason I had gone with it, was that I did not want to wrangle making the bright red color. And Satin ice tastes just like MMF, so it did not pay to pay so much for it.

I have made my MMF shiny, but normally it is not. And I use lorain oils and have made a myriad of flavors. My Roomates favorite flavor is bavarian cream. My daughter's is orange or lemon. It is infitnitly cheaper to make MMF then purchase Satin Ice. It used to be hit or miss on the MMF for me until I started making it the night before and letting it sit over night in an airtight container to rest.

Just my 2 cents! icon_biggrin.gif

Queenie4574 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks simple baker! I hadn't realized that it taste the same! I will try fosters MMF ... hope for the best!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 11

Lots of different opinions on this board about fondant. icon_smile.gif I just tried Satin Ice for the first time last night and LOVED it. It rolled out really nicely and was great for making little figures. I made MMF a few times before it blew up my KA (so don't mix it in there!). It tasted great but ripped too much for me.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 11

I love Satin Ice! I think it tastes delicious and it's pretty easy to work with. You just have to roll it out thick. Here's a tip though - Blakescakes suggests that you use 2/3 Satin Ice and 1/3 Wilton fondant.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:21am
post #9 of 11

MMF will get shiny if you use Crsico to roll it out, I use conrstarch unless I want it to be shiny.
I've used Satin Ice and I have to say I prefer MMF, I prefer the flavor and texture, the SI was too soft for me and it tasted "storebought" .
But with that said MMF is what works for me but others have had success with SI and MFF, so it all boils down to a personal taste and what works best for you.

Queenie4574 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:49am
post #10 of 11

thanks again for all the comments. I guess I will have to do a couple practice trys before venturing out with my friends baby shower cake. Thanks! I will try Blakescakes suggestion. I always assumed Wilton fondant was the worse to work with but I guess if it is mixed it might work better.

sugarlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlover Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #11 of 11

where can i find the michele fosters recipe. I love satin ice but some of you stated it's expensive and that doesn't include the shipping itself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%