Wasc Variation Keeps Falling On Me!

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 11

I use this recipe for a more "homemade" tasting cake, and never used to have problems with it before I moved south.

1 box cake mix
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water

Can anyone tell me why it keeps falling? It usually takes me nearly 2 hrs to bake a 10x15x3 at 325. I usually open the oven to check on it at the 1 1/2 hr mark. I don't know if it's the new oven (it's gas, just like my last one), or the move to the humid south. Is it too much liquid?? Can anyone help me? I really like the taste of this cake, Thanks!

10 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 11

My single batch WASC recipe:

1 boxes DH cake mix
1 box instant pudding mix to compliment cake flavor
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teas. salt
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
2 teaspoons of complimentary extract(s)

I bake at 325 degrees.

I don't have any problems with it. I think your recipe may a bit short on liquid. I'd also suggest checking the temp on your oven--nearly 2 hrs. seems much to long for a 10x3.

HTH
Rae

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #3 of 11

I use the WASC recipe often. However, my recipe is slightly different than yours. To one box of mix, I add 1-1/3 cups water and 2 tablespoons oil. I also usually add a tablespoon or two more flour.

In any event, you really should get an oven thermometer and check your new oven. That's a pretty big variable!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:28am
post #4 of 11

Start by getting your oven calibrated. Call the manufacturer to find out who, in your area, services that brand and have them come out to test it. I live in the south (Texas) and don't have problems with cakes at all, and it gets pretty humid here in the summer. I'm guessing it's an oven problem.

cakedesigner59 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks, all. I had the oven tested (by a service man) when we first moved here, thinking it was the oven. But it tested fine. I just baked a straight cake mix cake (same size pan, 10 x 15 x 3 - took 3 mixes) and it baked perfectly. It must be my recipe when doing WASC. I thought it was too much liquid, but BlakesCakes said too little?? But looking at Rae's recipe, looks like I have more liquid, since she uses pudding and I don't.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 11

I've found that using a flower nail even with the 10" helps too.

cakedesigner59 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 11

Actually, I usually use the flower nail, but this time, I used (for the first time) one of those heating core things. Could that have caused it to fall? I thought they were supposed to help it cook evenly so that didn't happen!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 11

Whenever I enhance a cake mix, I always add an additional 1 tsp of baking powder. Before I did that, I would have the occasional cake sink, but now I am 100 %. I am not sure if it is a heat thing (I live in TX).

I did find this especially helpful in cakes where I add additional sugar sources like strawberrys.
HTH
Stephanie

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 11

What is bothering me is that you have added 2 cups of additional dry ingredients and no extra liquid ingredients to the mix. You make no mention of sour cream or an extra egg or a little more water. It sounds like a pretty heavy mixture. I am wondering if something was left out. Don't know....

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 11

I use a similar extender recipe but in addition use 4 instead of 3 eggs, 1 1/3 cup liquid instead of 1 cup, 1 box instant pudding mix & 1 cup sour cream. You can also add a tsp. flavoring.

cakedesigner59 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 11

Dang! I didn't say the sour cream. I use 1 cup water, 1 cup sour cream, 3 eggs, and 1/3 cup oil. MY BAD. No wonder y'all thought it was too dry! i'm an idiot. I always thought it was too wet, that's why it keeps falling....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%