Can I Freeze A Finished Cake?

Decorating By jjmoore Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm by ljdills

jjmoore Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 3

I have a finished cake that is buttercream iced and decorated and I live in Texas. It is sooo hot! and I have a party cake to deliver to a three year old outside birthday party for my niece. Can i freeze the cake first and just let in thaw during delivery? I'm worried about it staying cool enough for the icing not to melt off on the way to the party and while it has to sit in the air conditioned car waiting on us to be ready to eat it. Will freezing the cake damage it? Will it damage when it thaws? Is the Fridge a better idea? I've frozen cakes before but never a decorated one. Thanks!

2 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 3

I don't think that works, only because of the condensation that will form on the icing as it's defrosting. I would think it would be ruined. Just make sure the cake is right out of the fridge, and that the car is already cooled down before you stick it in. Try to make sure the sun isn't shining directly on it through the windows. HTH

ljdills Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 3

It depends on the colors and decorations you will have on the cake. I have frozen a completed cake once, but after I took it out of the freezer I sat it in front of a fan to dry the condensation. Sometimes it will cause your colors to fade and "bleed" together.
Supermarkets freeze decorated cakes all the time and it they look fine after they thaw.

Quote by @%username% on %date%