Slab Cake For Wedding ??

Decorating By cleopatra73 Updated 20 Jun 2009 , 5:58am by in2cakes2

cleopatra73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cleopatra73 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 26

Please help, I am newbie and this is my first wedding cake.
customer wants a (four tier) chocolate and vanilla alternating slabs cake, filling not required, just for the cake to be tasty and rich. So...any body have any good slab cake recipe? and is it possible to cover slab cake with fondant?

ps. english not my first language, please forgive me if my explanation out of context. Thank you!!

25 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 26

Pardon me, but I have never heard the term slab before. Sheet cake maybe? I may be clueless. Sorry!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 26

Probably sheet cake, I've heard them called slab cakes before... 1/2 slab, 1/4 slab, all that... If it's something else, that's new to me! Outside the previous usage I've heard, it sounds like the OP is referring to a KIND of cake (pound cake, angel food cake, slab cake?)

An unfilled cake can be covered in fondant, no problem. It'll probably be easier than a filled one, actually. Any regular cake recipe should be fine, there are several recipes on here! WASC, I heard of a cream cheese pound cake that I intend to try someday soon...yeah, there's lots!

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 26

Ah, that makes sense. Also thought maybe it was really a different kind of cake, common to another country or something.

cleopatra73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 26

I have never heard the term slab before too and yes I think is some kind of sheet cake. I just wondering how would the cake taste like if there is no filling and we only can apply very thin butter cream on the side, since the cake will cover with fondant? any suggestion will be greatly appreciate? thnx

Here's pic of the cake she wants
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #6 of 26

Those aren't slabs, those are regular square cakes. No filling? I use the same icing as as on top of the cake as filling myself, in most times.

cleopatra73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:44am
post #7 of 26

ahh...I see. Thank you Jamie you are so nice for wanting to spare your time to explain thing for me, I really appreciate it icon_smile.gif

How much do you think I should charge for this cake (12", 10", 8" and 6" ) any idea? No flower require.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #8 of 26

Depends on your area, unfortunately. I guess it depends on where you are. I'd be in the $4.50 to $6.00 range. I can't see the detail well, but it looks like royal icing detail on top of the fondant. Pretty cake!!

cleopatra73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 26

I live in Vancouver, Canada.

Yes, I think it was royal icing and they'll supply the ribbon. I kinda nervous to accept this order icon_sad.gif

kansaswolf Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:25am
post #10 of 26

Also, some fondants taste better than others. If you're using Wilton fondant (for example), I find that most people peel it off because it doesn't taste good, in which case you'll want a thicker layer of BC so people get some frosting. I hear good things about different commercial fondants, and there are several recipes here on CC that are well spoken of, though I have no experience with most. I developed a cream cheese fondant recipe that is highly rated and I think is first rate! It's really creamy and SOOO good! I usually flavor it with vanilla or almond, though mint is also quite good!

If you'd like to check it out, the recipe is here:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7060-0-Cream-Cheese-base-fondant.html

Also, if you can get a good stencil, the design on the middle tiers will be relatively easy to stencil on fondant with royal icing! I like this cake as well! Lovely!

I charge in the $2 - $5 range where I'm at, but you might want to check prices against some local bakeries (NOT the local chain store, custom cake shops). Best of luck!

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:52am
post #11 of 26

Kansas...that fondant recipe sound delish!! I'm gonna save it for future reference. icon_smile.gif

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #12 of 26

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but Kansaswolf, does your fondant need to rest for 24 hours after it is made or is it ready to use? Also should it be kept in the fridge or can a cake wrapped w/ it be left out like the MFF that I use? TIA Again sry to take over. icon_smile.gif

cleopatra73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:53am
post #13 of 26

Kansas, thank you so much for the fondant recipe...I'll definitely try it out but little nervous about the warning about prone to breaking and tearing though. I have never use wilton fondant yet, all the cakes in my pictures are made out of MMF I found in this site.

About applying a thicker layer of BC, what kind of BC is suitable for it? because my BC recipe tend to melt after several hours sitting in room temperature and causing the smooth finish fondant turn to sloppy. Any tip please?

Yes, I'll try to get a good stencil, thanks for the tip!! I hope my cake will turn out as pretty as the one in the pic and thank you a again Kansas.

cleopatra73 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:58am
post #14 of 26

in2cake2, dont be sorry. I actually glad that you hi-jack this thread (LOL), I need to know this too icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:19am
post #15 of 26

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above superthread has popular CC recipes for American buttercream, fondant and doctored cake mixes - and so much more.!

HTH

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2cakes2

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but Kansaswolf, does your fondant need to rest for 24 hours after it is made or is it ready to use? Also should it be kept in the fridge or can a cake wrapped w/ it be left out like the MFF that I use? TIA Again sry to take over. icon_smile.gif

I too would like to know if it has to sit before using.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #17 of 26

cleapatra76
do you have the proper support system to do a wedding cake? you might want to practise before the big day. i looked at your pictures and didn't see any stacked cakes. you know you do need some icing between you alternating white and choc. layers.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 26

At first glance, that's a $500 cake...I'm speaking as if i knew nothing about wedding cake/pricing...if i were a bride and took that picture to a cake shop, i would expect to pay between $400-$500 for the cake.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #19 of 26

Looks like an 8, 10, 12 and 14" stack to me = 252 servings. $400/252=$1.58/svg= icon_sad.gif

kansaswolf Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:42pm
post #20 of 26

My cream cheese fondant works best when used immediately after making it. If you let it rest, it's more likely to tear or be crumbly... (Trial and error on my part!) It works pretty easily for small cakes, but for larger than an 8 inch, I'd roll it out on some butcher paper or a vinyl tablecloth, then flip the whole deal over on the cake and peel off the plastic. If can be refrigerated, frozen, left out on the cake, whatever you need! It dries similar to a buttercream: crust on the outside, creaminess on the inside! It's also not chewy like some other fondants, if texture is a question...

I find that this recipe has a fairly wide appeal, so you might be able to forego the thick buttercream layer if you use this. (I only mentioned it with Wilton, because it tastes SO BAD right out of the package!) If you're using MFF or something else actually tasty ( icon_wink.gif ) then a thin BC layer would also probably be fine!

cleopatra73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:15am
post #21 of 26

Hammer1,
I don't have a support system to do the wedding cake (yet) and planning to get one after do my study in here icon_smile.gif. the wedding not until august 2....so i guess i have time to study and practicing for that. yes i do know that's i need some icing between the layers, i discussing this with the bride as we speak icon_smile.gif any idea about support system? and thanks a lot for the help icon_smile.gif

cleopatra73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #22 of 26

Jamie,
you probably right but the bride wants 6", 8", 10" and 12" =124 X ...? ($ 4.50) what do you think ? icon_wink.gif

cleopatra73 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #23 of 26

I have cake order for this coming wednesday, I might try using your fondant, I'll let you know if I do icon_smile.gif and thanks a bunch!!

kansaswolf Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:58am
post #24 of 26

I'd love to hear how that goes and see a picture! I love seeing what other people do with my recipe! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 2:12am
post #25 of 26

Heck yeah Cleopatra! If your market will bear it!

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:58am
post #26 of 26

Thanks for the info Kansaswolf icon_biggrin.gif can't wait to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%