Shantel575 Or Sugarshack Please Help

Decorating By mustang1964 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 12:58am by mustang1964

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 16

I need help with, the cake that's posted as shantel's avatar and posted as the topic "does anyone know how to make this kind of cake ". I am totally lost as to how it is supported. I get the dowel through the middle but how do you dowel the rest? Is there a diagram somewhere? I looked at sugarshack's blog but I still don't understand. Sorry for being so dense.
Thank you for any help.

15 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 16

sugarshack has a new DVD out "Totally Topsy Turvy" that takes you step by step how to create that cake. Go to www.sugaredproductions.com to order it. Her DVDs are some of the best I have seen and the least expensive.

mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 16

I plan on ordering the DVD but I need to make the cake this weekend. (Last minute order)
Thanks

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 16

can you post a link to the cake? thanks!

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 16

I used this as my guide when I did mine...not the most detailed but very helpful
http://www.videojug.com/webvideo/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-cake

mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 16

It;s not actually a topsy turvy I think it's called a tilted cake. If you go to the post "does anyone know how to make this kind of cake?" on this forum it is shentel's aviator.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 16

ah, you mean this one?

Sorry, I've never made one like that icon_sad.gif I'd be interested to hear the answers though

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 16

sugarshack's blog had detailed instructions on this construction. It's done with foam wedges and she uses bubble tea straws for support between each tier (that's what she uses for support in all of her cakes). Have you ever made a stacked cake with supports before? If so it's the same concept, if not this probably wouldn't be the best design for your first.

mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 16

I have made stacked cakes before. What I am not understanding is once the wedge is put in under the middle tier I assume you dowel it like any other cake. What I am not understanding is the if the top of the middle cake is on a slant and the bottom of the top tier is also on that same slant how to you know how the tops of the dowels should sit since it is not an even surface. It would be different if it was like the topsy turvy where everything is level even though it looks slanted.

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 16

Sorry I can't be more help but it's been awhile since I read sugarshacks blog on this one.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 16

I haven't made one of these and don't know for sure this is correct but I would assume you would cut your dowels even with the top of the tier in which they are placed because the foam wedge will be flat against the top of the lower tier. Then after the next tier is placed on top the weight would then be transferred downward onto the styrofoam wedge which is sitting flush on top of the lower tier. Does that make sense? I hope that's helpful but if not just PM Sugarshack. She is great about responding to questions very quickly.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:47pm
post #12 of 16

looky here:

the ddowels are always leverl with the tops of the cake. only the styro is slanted

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/graduation-wedge-cake.html

mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks sugarshack but, I am obviously not the smartest person around. O.K. I start out with the bottom tier which is obviously level, now I put the wedge on top of the bottom tier. When I place the middle tier on top on the wedge the middle tier becomes slanted, right? Now I have to place the dowels in the middle tier, if I put the dowels through the middle tier and the foam wedge I still have a level surface on the bottom but, the top of the middle tier is sitting on a slant. Is that right? So if the top of the middle tier is on a slant then do I make the tops of the dowels at different levels for the next wedge to sit on?
Also what keeps the tiers from sliding sideways especially if they are filled?
Sorry I am not to bright.

mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:32pm
post #14 of 16

bump

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 16

the dowels do not go through the foam at all. they only go thru the cakes to the point of the boards supporting each tier. put your dowels in your cakes before you do any stacking at all, just like any other cake. then just lift the tiers and place them on the slanted wedges. i used melted choc and a long center dowel to keep all of it in place.

It is hard to wrap your mind around at first, but once you see it/do it, the light goes on, LOL

HTH

mustang1964 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:58am
post #16 of 16

Thanks so much I guess I just have to go for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%