Saving Gumpaste Figures For Eternity?

Decorating By bethasd Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm by peg818

bethasd Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 6

I recently did a cake with a couple of little gumpaste dogs, a cat and a beach chair. The customer asked me if they could shellac them to save them forever. Is this possible?

5 replies
Stephi1 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 6

I guess it would be worth a shot! By the way - too cute!

Teekakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

Hello icon_smile.gif
The Black and White cake in my avatar was my daughters 30th bday cake. For an additional keepsake gift to her I shadow boxed the sugar pieces for her and they are in the same condition now as they were 6 months ago when i made them. I made sure the shadow box was sealed airtight as possible by using a hot glue gun. From what I understand keeping them stored in an airtight container is the best method of preservation.
You can view the shadow boxed pieces in my photos here,

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

If you can get a hold of some of those silica gel packs that come in shoe boxes and purses that will help keep the moisture out.

BC0101 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 6

I was wondering the same thing. I made a jungle cake for my son's first birthday and wanted to keep the fondant/gumpaste animals to put in his room.

peg818 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 6

I have a couple of fondant figures in my china cabinet and they are a couple of years old. No problems with that. They don't sit in the direct sunlight, which helps keep them from fading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%