Butter Vs Shortening In Bc

Decorating By bonniebakes Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm by erinalicia

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 12

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about substituting butter for shortening in BC recipes...

Can it be done? If so, do I use a 1:1 ratio? Will it change the consistency or it's ability to crust? Are there any other downfalls that I should know about it before I try?

thanks!

11 replies
DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure about the ratios, but it will not crust as well and you have to refrigerate it as opposed to a shortening based icing which can be left out. Plus, unless you use organic or uncolored butter, your icing will have a yellow tint.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:15am
post #3 of 12

Butter has a lower melting point than shortening, so butter b/c's are more susceptible to performance issues in hot weather.

Crusting butter buttercream recipe:
(Buttercream Dream, use all butter - no shortening.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2123-Buttercream-Dream.html

No crust all butter buttercream recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1610-No-Crust-Buttercream-Icing.html

American b/c recipes made with butter, shortening or a combination of both with their small amount of liquid (water, milk, cream) don't require refrigeration. icon_smile.gif

Here's the science:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617882-.html

HTH

Edited to add butter for Crisco/shortening substitution.

nrsanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrsanna Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:51am
post #4 of 12

Buttercream Dream does have 1 c shortening. Any other crusting all butter buttercream suggestions? I would love it too!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:16am
post #5 of 12

Sorry, I had oral surgery Thursday and I guess either the aching pain or pain medication are adversely affecting my ability to search effectively.... icon_redface.gif

Probably time to take another pill and try to get some sleep....

bonniebakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 12

thanks so much for all that information, Jan!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 12

I usually use half shortening and half butter. I'm making a wedding cake for one of my son's nurses next month and she insisted on having all butter- buttercream. I explained to her that in 100 degree July here, that the icing could just slide right off of the cake. She said that they could just keep it refrigerated most of the day and bring it just before the reception. I'm nervous about doing all butter personally. I love the taste, but in the kind of heat and humidity we're having here, I'd hate for the cake to look terrible.

Will adding meringue powder help stabilize it some?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 12

i would definitely... add meringue powder.and i would use whipping cream for the liquid..

erinalicia Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:22pm
post #9 of 12

I always use whipping cream for the liquid... I love how light it makes the icing, and it tastes SO good! icon_smile.gif I can eat it by the spoonful when I have leftovers. lol

BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 12

What recipe do you use for your buttercream? And what amount of meringue powder to add? Do you whip the cream before adding to buttercream, or do you just put it in liquid form?

bonniebakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:19pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegh

What recipe do you use for your buttercream? And what amount of meringue powder to add? Do you whip the cream before adding to buttercream, or do you just put it in liquid form?

yes, pleas, please share!!!

erinalicia Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 12

I'm not sure whom you are asking for the recipe..... I don't really follow any one recipe, but I'll share what I do.

2 sticks of softened butter (I've even used margarine, but it's a much softer icing)
1 cup of shortening (with transfats- I buy Target brand, but you can just check the label)
2 lb bag of powdered sugar (I use store brand usually, just recently tried Aldi's)
flavoring
whipping cream

I cream the fats together until they are well combined, then I add the flavoring (the amount depends on your taste, but usually 1-2 tsp per 2 cups of fat. Then I start adding the powdered sugar gradually at a low speed. Scrape the sides as needed. Once all the sugar is incorporated, I just drizzle in the liquid whipping cream. I don't measure it, just add enough to get the consistency you need. I let my mix on speed 4-5 for 5-10 minutes. If you're only making one batch you will probably have air bubbles, so just stir for a few minutes.

I double this recipe in my 4.5 quart KA and it fills the bowl. When you mix it for the 5-10 minutes, it is really smooth with no air bubbles.

Hope this helps. This was just trial and error for me. If you have problems with your icing cracking after it's crusted and you move the cake, add a few drops of vinegar. It helps, but really having a sturdy board under the cake will help that too.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%