Football Texture In A Impression Mat?

Decorating By Letthemeatcake_2009 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm by Musings9

Letthemeatcake_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letthemeatcake_2009 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 16

I'm looking for a impression mat that is the very little texture that you find on a football. I've searched and searched and so far I've found a small cobble stone, but I'm afraid that won't work. Do you have any ideas?

I'm sure I've seen in somewhere, or in a picture of a football cake.

Thank you in advance.

15 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 16

Think outside the box! I just saw a cake show on tv where the lady used the plastic cover used in the ceiling over florescent lighting (a new one of course) to impression fondant. I don't know exactly what football texture is, but start looking around the house for ideas. I have even seen people use strong textured fabric. HTH.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 16

I have a placemat with little bumps on the back of it that makes a perfect football texture. I've used it to make snakeskin and leather textures too.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 16

I was going to say the light covering also. Its perfect

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 16

The cheapest, cheap paper towels you can find! If your icing dries to the touch (crusts) you can just place a towel over the icing and rub w/your hand. I've used it for years to make footballs. Just look at all the paper towels on the shelf....look for the really cheap ones - they usually have small bumps on them that are not in a pattern.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 16

I used the side of a cheap grater you know the 9 inch one cost 3 bucks at Wal Mart I just bought one for a football I put on a Graduation cake the texture was prefect.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 16

I use a terry cloth towel on the chocolate fondant. It works beautifully. I use it on all my "leather".
http://www.unforgettableweddingcakes.com/more%20ideas/speacal%20cakes/page%201/html/game%20ball.htm

Letthemeatcake_2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letthemeatcake_2009 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:46am
post #8 of 16

Thank you everyone for your replies. I definately will think outside the box. i'm curious about the light covers. My sister als mentioned the screen that you replace your windo screens with.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #9 of 16

Welcome to posting on CC.

I used the shelf liner that has the little knubbies on it. It worked on crusted bc and fondant. hth

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 16

I too, think the grater would work!

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 16

I used the canvas from my gym bag . You can check out how it looks in my photos.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 16

defonately, its all about thinking outside of the box, i had to make a bed cake recently, and i pressed a clean piece of lace/net into the fondant, perfect texture! im pretty sure you could find something that will replicate the pattern. i like the sound of the kitchen paper , i know which type she means and i think it would be good icon_smile.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 16

What about getting some vinyl leather from the remnant isle of the fabric store? I bought some to texture a book cake I will be making this weekend. I thought of the lace, but wanted more manly look to the book.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #14 of 16

I use the plastic that is made for needle point. Cheap, lots of sizes, easy to clean and store. I tried the screen--couldn't wash it nicely.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #15 of 16

I used tule fabric from Michaels. It has a nice mesh texture. I also use it on daisy centers.

Musings9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Musings9 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 16

I was just about to order some cobblestone impression mats for a leather purse I'm making when I found this thread. So glad I did! Sometimes you forget to think outside the box when you're creating a cake. I think I'll have to have that saying framed, just so I won't forget. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%