Lace Like Butterflies, Royal Icing Help!

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm by mindy1204

mindy1204 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 6

I love these butterflies and think they will be amazing on a baby shower cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1326693

How do you think they were done? With a pattern i would think, I tried free hand and they didnt look as good. Anyone know of a pattern or these?

Thanks in advance.
Mindy

5 replies
Tellis12 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 6

It is beautiful. Could you create a pattern on your own? Draw a wing shape and then, maybe using the picture as a guide, draw in the lacy details. I haven't ever seen a pattern for these. Maybe someone else could give you a better idea! Good luck!

sadsmile Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 6

Gorgeous!

Make your own pattern by looking at it. Start with the outline and then play around till you get something you like. Make everything connect together. Lay wax paper over your drawing and pipe the wings as best you can. Re position the waxed paper and make a couple more sets of wings. Let those wings set up hard over night. Free the wings from the wax paper and this is why you make extra-breakage. Then pipe the body onto wax paper and push the wings into it. I would brace those wings with folded paper( Like upside down V's) so I don't have to hold them till the body drys. My hands aren't steady like that. Even better I would tape those folded papers in place then pipe the body inbetween them and lay the wings down into the it on the paper and walk away till it all hardens up. Those are going to be delicate.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 6

I would love to see your results! I believe your butterflies will be beautiful!

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 6

http://www.sugar craft.com/catalog/misc/butterfly-patterns.htm take the space out between the first word and there are instructions there

mindy1204 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the help. I am going to practice practice these. I love the look and I think the mommy to be will also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%