Another 1St Wedding Cake - Questions

Decorating By RebelsLGB Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm by newnancy

RebelsLGB Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone! I mostly lurk on here, my name is Kristen and I make cakes as a hobby. I'm making my first wedding cake for my friend, its not a hard cake but I had a few questions that actually applies to all cakes I make.

How do you all time the making of your cakes? I'm always paranoid of it going bad and getting dry. I use simple syrup on all my cakes, but I tend to bake them, at the MOST 1 day in advance, and then do everything else the night before the cake is needed. The thing is, i'm also a Birdesmaid in this wedding so would like to be able to space it out a little better. I'm extremely scared of freezing the cake, but am open to it if someone could tell me how? Right now I was thinking this is what I'd do, the Wedding is Sat july 25th

Wed - bake the cakes
thursday - Fill & Crum coat
friday - decorate & make cupcakes

I'm doing a 10 inch square and 6 inch square stacked cake, it's a wilton design, VERY simple. I'm then making 50-60 cupcakes to go along with it. This will be to feed around 100 people. It's an out door wedding and it's the middle of july so i'm just doing buttercream because fondant in the humidity scares the heck out of me.

I'm going to be making the fondant daisies next week and just keep them in an air tight container, those are really the only decorations except for some really simple piping. One of the instructors i've taken decorating classes from told me that buttercream with half butter and half shortening would be the way to go, this way you have the best of both worlds, the taste of butter and the stability of shortening in the heat. He also said to keep the cake refrigerated until its time to deliver, that way its cold and will be less likely to melt and will come to room temp at the wedding.

does this all seem like I'm on the right track?

8 replies
bashini Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 9

Hi, when I make cakes, I bake them two days ahead. All my cakes are moist. So very rarely I use sugar syrup.

Bake the two main cakes on wednesday and fill in the night. Then on thursday, crumbcoat and ice the cakes. And I would bake the cupcakes on thursday as well. Decorate both cakes and cupcakes on friday.

The other thing is that, I wouldn't use just fondant to make the daisies. I would use gumpaste or 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

RebelsLGB Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 9

thank you that is very helpful. just wondering, why the reason to mix half fondant & half gumpaste? Is gumpaste more stable in the heat? I'll deffinatly mix them, just wondering the reasoning behind it icon_smile.gif

BabyBear3 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 9

I think your time line looks perfect. That is how I usually do my cakes when they are needed for a Saturday. I find that once you ice them they are usually fine for a day or so.

bashini Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:10am
post #5 of 9
Originally Posted by RebelsLGB

thank you that is very helpful. just wondering, why the reason to mix half fondant & half gumpaste? Is gumpaste more stable in the heat? I'll deffinatly mix them, just wondering the reasoning behind it icon_smile.gif

Yes. If you use fondant, it will go soft. When you do them with gumpaste or 50/50 mix, it dries hard. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:21am
post #6 of 9

Marshmallow fondant will dry hard as long as it has several days to dry. It's not quite as brittle as gumpaste when it's dry. I'm starting to really love using gumpaste, but if people are going to eat the flowers, straight fondant might be the way to go.

I don't have trouble with fondant in the heat and humidity. It's buttercream that really misbehaves for me. I can't use the half-butter, half-crisco buttercream in the summer. I do better with Indydebi's doesn't have the taste of butter, but it's really not missing in any way icon_biggrin.gif My whole family will sit there and eat it with a spoon if I let them. It's also a very bright white.

I think keeping the cake in the fridge until you deliver is the way to go. Also, if you can keep it in the shade at the reception that will help it hang in there a bit better too.

newnancy Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 9:32am
post #7 of 9

I'm with Texas Rose.....use Indydebi's & if you want the butter flavor you could use a little of the clear butter flavoring although it's great as it is.

RebelsLGB Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 9

thanks for the help. where do i find the recipie for her buttercream? I was going to use SMBC, and they are keeping the cake inside until it's "time for cake" at my request because of the heat. But I'm interesting in trying the buttercream recipe because I do see a lot of people talk about it.

newnancy Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 9

Looke in the recipe section "Indydebi's Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing". HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%