Last Min Fathers Day Order!! Help With Idea!!

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm by candoo

SJ169 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 12

EEK!!
A friend of a friend's mom just called me and asked if i could do a cake for her for this Sunday.

There will be three fathers, her father, her husband and her oldest son.

The interests of them all include, boating, karate, guitar, wood working..
.... i am a little stumped for an idea???

HELP!!!
TIA!!!

11 replies
SJ169 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 12

bump icon_biggrin.gif anyone?? icon_smile.gif

rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 12

Well, I don't have pics b/c I'm not done but I did a 9x13 (double layer) and I'm going to decorate it like the ocean and I carve a boat and I'm putting that on top with little 50/50 fondant sculptures of my DH, my dad, and my uncle to go in the boat.

CountryCakery4 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:36am
post #4 of 12

Perhaps instead of trying to incorporate such diverse ideas (and because it's so last minute, man I feel for you) you can try a design that appeals to dads in general. Or just something classy that reads Happy Fathers Day. I'm sure you can find something in the gallery that might inspire something. I know that if I'm stumped for an idea I always head right to the gallery! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:45am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCakery4

Perhaps instead of trying to incorporate such diverse ideas (and because it's so last minute, man I feel for you) you can try a design that appeals to dads in general. Or just something classy that reads Happy Fathers Day. I'm sure you can find something in the gallery that might inspire something. I know that if I'm stumped for an idea I always head right to the gallery! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

I agree...for that many people with such diverse hobbies, a nice chocolate cake with Happy Father's Day written on it would be just right.

candoo Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:59am
post #6 of 12

Make a sheet cake that looks like a block of wood. On it, set karate figure leaning on a guitar (use wilton guitar pan if u have it). Fade the arm of the guitar (where it slowly transforms) into a dock, going out over a pond, (this would be out over the cake board at this point). Make icing water on the cake board, and put a figure in the water, boating!. send a pic of whatever u decide!

SJ169 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the ideas!! my mind is working!! I will be doing it tonight and tommorow I will post pics once i am done!!!

candoo Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 12

Look forward to seeing them!

SJ169 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 12

Hey Candoo.. i really like your idea of doing the guitar the slowly transitions into a dock..however how would you do this? I wanted to use fondant and i dont have an airbrusher?? How would I get the transition look without an airbrush?
TIA!

candoo Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 12

I don't have an airbrush either. If your using fondant (or BC either for that matter), I would just paint the fondant using coloring gel. Check out the chicken cake in my pics- this is what I done with it.

SJ169 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 12

lol okay so i do not like this cake at all!! but i said i would post a picture of it! they people it was for loved it so i guess that's what counts...i think if i wasnt so tired when i started this cake it might have been better but o well! i think my little figures are bad and the boat isnt smooth but w/e i like the guitar.
LL

candoo Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 12

I think it's really cute!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%