Cheapest Place To Buy 1/2" Foam Core?

Decorating By IDoCakesinTX Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11am by DamarisC

IDoCakesinTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDoCakesinTX Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 9

Where is the best online or local place to buy the 1/2" foam core board Sharon Zambito uses? It's $5 a sheet at my local Hobby Lobby......WAY too expensive for me......

Anyone have a good go-to place for this?

8 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 9

That is about the same price at Michaels - I use the 40% off coupon everytime I don't need something else to stock up on it. OR wait till they have the sale on the 1/4" (2 for $3.) and buy a bunch of those to glue together.

I can get several boards out of one 20x30 piece so if you look at it that way it isn't too bad. Just add it in to the costs of the cake - I don't know of any other board you can use that is cheaper.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 9

I don't know if you have a Pearl Paint, discount art supplier, near you. They have 1/2" foamcore for $3.66. They also have an online store you can order from (don't know about the shipping though).

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 9

Also, at Pearl Paint you can get the larger size board 32x40 for $6.28.

IDoCakesinTX Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks gals. I guess I'll just have to slowly stock up w/ those coupons. I really thought I'd be able to find them cheap online somewhere.....but unless you pay a few hundred and get them in bulk, they're really not any cheaper. I'm not that popular in town yet....so no need to stock up....can't "count the eggs b/f they hatch!"

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 9

Hobby Lobby has them on sale for 50% off every few weeks. Check the ads closely every week as they're not always listed in the same place. Sometimes they're under 'art', sometimes under 'framing' and sometimes they're listed in small print along the bottom of the ad.

Also check to see when your Hobby Lobby gets its weekly shipment. Mine is on Thursday, so I don't even bother trying to stock up before then. However, if you happen to shop at the same Hobby Lobby as me, the weekly shipment comes in on Friday. hahahahahaha icon_wink.gif

IDoCakesinTX Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you SOOOO much DianeLM!!!! I really appreciate it!

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #8 of 9

I have a question....does Sharon use them to hold the weight of large tiers, like 14"? I usually just double my cardboards and cover that in contact paper. But that's not cheap either.

DamarisC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamarisC Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #9 of 9

You can try artsupply.com and click foamboard, then sturdy board. they are not that bad in price, i think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%