Leveling A Cake

Decorating By RaeLynn1221 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm by cathyscakes

RaeLynn1221 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if I could just flip the cake upside down and decorate the bottom. I have seen how you can cut off the top of the cake to level it but I am afraid I will mess it up.

4 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

you can do this for a 2-layer cake with filling in the middle - BUT when cut you wont have a nice even, professional look. If that doesn't bother you than sure, go ahead.

if you cakes dome annd you are frosting a single layer cake you need to level off the cake, if you just flip it over your cake will bend over the bump and crack.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 5

Welcome to cc. Many of us do decorated the "bottom" of the cake as it is a nice flat, even surface. However, take a look at the board or platter you plan to use for the cake. If it is flat, you still need to level it so that your nice flat surface doesn't crack or bulge.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 5

Welcome to cc. Many of us do decorate the "bottom" of the cake as it is a nice flat, even surface. However, take a look at the board or platter you plan to use for the cake. If it is flat, you still need to level it so that your nice flat surface doesn't crack or bulge.

cathyscakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 5

When you cut off the dome of your cake to level, do you frost your cake with the cut side up. I alway cut off the cake to level, then turn it over and have bottom of the cake as the top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%