Grandma's 95Th Birthday

Decorating By Lissydawn Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm by bonniebakes

Lissydawn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 9

So I need to make a cake for my grandma's 95th birthday. I have been given "creative freedom" on the cake - in other words, no one can think of a great idea for it...

I am wanting something big (thinking maybe 3 layer topsy turvey) with a fondant "95" caketopper, but I have absolutely no ideas on colours/theme or anyting.

Help!

8 replies
bonniebakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 9

does she have any favorite colors or hobbies that you can tie into the cake?

My grandmother's 90th b-day is coming up and I've thought a lot about what to do. I'm incorporating the colors from the napkins that I bought and have decided to do a bunch of edible images of pictures throughout her life and with the family...

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 9

I know of someone doing a cake with the edible images of the couple through their lives on the sides done like a movie film strip, so with the awesome age of 95 - I'm sure there are a lot of pictures for special events through her life.

Lissydawn Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 9

Unfortunatley, we don't have pictures of her growing up - otherwise that would be an awsome idea! For future reference, how do you do edible images, do you have to buy the special printer, paper, ink, etc?

tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 9

Most grocery store bakeries or wal mart will do them for you if you don't have a edible image printer. Copy them or put them on a disc and they will print them.

MyDiwa Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 9

Take a look at sadsmile's hatbox cake for inspiration. It will blow your socks off!

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 9

I don't have the printer, since I don't do very many cakes, but I can send an email with the attached image I want to my local cake supply shop, and she will do them for me for $13 a sheet. I have a printer/scanner at home - so I can scan in my pre digital age photos for any future needs. Both Canon and Epson make printers that you can use for edible ink. I can't think of the name of the company where they have on their website which printers - so hopefully someone else will chime in. It's Kopy something.

KHalstead Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 9

Kopykake is the company

If you don't have photos of your grandma through the 95 yrs. of her life.........why not make little "trinkets" out of fondant to adorn the cake that hold some special meaning for a time in her life?? something to represent her childhood (maybe a little dress that she remembers wearing?), her wedding (maybe a fondant replica of her wedding ring), her children (something that reminds her of each of them), etc. could be fun just gathering all the info. from family members, and I think it would allow everyone to talk about a favorite memory they have and all feel like they had a part in the cake.
Might even be nice to have everyone write down one of their favorite memories and then present it to her as a book. That would be a pretty cool gift.

bonniebakes Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 9

I don't have photos for my grandmother's childhood either, but I do have some from when she moved to the US in her 20's and later with her kids and grandkids. Those are the ones I'm planning on using, as her family is what means the most to her...

I don't have an edible image printer, but my local grocery stores do photo cakes, and if I bring them the pictures, they'll sell me just the printed sheet of the images for between around $7.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%